Raising Awareness Through Action

Whether the event is raising money for cancer research, helping out Somali refugees, or building houses for a family in need, the Community Action Corps (CAC) is willing to help.

CAC is a student community service organization that sets up activities and events throughout Buffalo. Its goal is to give back to the community, as well as promote and encourage UB students to do the same. Its events vary from building houses for local families to raising money to provide clean water in a country halfway across the world.

Kayla Cornell, president of CAC and a junior anthropology major, and Yasmine El Gohary, vice president of CAC and a junior anthropology major, attended their first club meeting thinking they were going to a meeting for Colleges Against Cancer. They soon realized that they were at a fundraiser for flood victims of Pakistan where the club raised about $90,000.

"It was so moving, I instantaneously became part of the club," Cornell said. "Just watching how thankful the community was for what we were doing and for the information we were providing. It was great."

Cornell's favorite event was when CAC raised money to build a clean water well in India. On March 22, World Water Day, she and members of the club walked around the Student Union for over three hours, and were successful in obtaining pages of pledges. They also previewed a movie called One Water that exposed India's desperate need for clean water.

Recently, CAC hosted an event at the Ronald McDonald House where it cooked food for families affected by cancer. The Ronald McDonald House seeks to improve the quality of life for children through charities that provide a safe and supportive environment extending over 53 countries across the globe, according to its website.

"I think everyone has had [personal experience with cancer] in this day and age," Cornell said. "My grandparents have both had it, and thankfully they bounced back. I pray that it never gets any closer than that."

CAC works with organizations such as the Ronald McDonald House and Habitat for Humanity frequently, creating a network of places where it can help local people in need.

The club works together to brainstorm ideas of outreach. If a member is particularly passionate about a community service program, Cornell takes it into consideration.

Two years ago, the previous president of CAC was part of a volunteer program that took her to Nicaragua. She saw the conditions of poverty stricken communities and became fueled with passion to help. Her experiences encouraged CAC to become involved in Enlace, a nonprofit organization that educates and assists Latin American communities.

On Nov. 29, CAC held an event to fundraise for Enlace. There were performances from the Buffalo Chips, the Latin American Student Association, and UB Zeal, the Indian SA dance group, to raise awareness about giving back.

"What we do is community engagement," said Abigail Avery, member of CAC and a senior accounting major. "We incorporate the needs of the surrounding communities [and further] in our activities."

Avery joined CAC because helping others was important to her. She established a program with young students in Buffalo schools, tutoring them in math, along with other members of the CAC.

Even when the students became difficult to work with, it was worth the club members' patience when the children started to understand the material, according to Avery.

"People are hurting and if I have something to offer them to show that I care, there is nothing to stop me from giving it," Avery said. "It's more than just giving money; it's about knowing what the problem is and trying as hard as possible to fix it. With so many problems that students are faced with, whether directly or indirectly, the CAC tries to ease that pain."