Downey Jr. and Galifianakis Shine in Due Date

Movie: Due Date

Release Date: Nov. 5

Grade: B+

Road trip comedies have been a Hollywood mainstay for decades. The '80s had Planes, Trains and Automobiles and National Lampoon's Vacation. More recently, the current generation has given us Road Trip and Little Miss Sunshine.

The tradition continues with Due Date, the newest and raunchiest film from writer/director Todd Phillips, the mastermind behind films like Road Trip, Old School, and School for Scoundrels. His newest film follows in the hilarious footsteps of these comedic staples.

The story follows Peter Highman (Robert Downey, Jr., Iron Man 2) as he tries to make it home to his pregnant wife (Michelle Monaghan, Eagle Eye) who is about to give birth to his first child. However, he is at the wrong place at the wrong time when he runs into Ethan Tremblay (Zach Galifianakis, Dinner for Schmucks), an oddball aspiring actor with a penchant for causing trouble.

Through a series of ridiculous events, both men land themselves on the "no-fly" list. Stranded with no other options, Peter is forced to hitch a ride with Tremblay, and their subsequent road trip provides many hilarious moments as Tremblay continues to cause roadblock after roadblock for Peter.

Much of the film's hilarity comes from the pairing of odd couple Downey Jr. and Galifianakis, who both shine in their respective roles and share a wonderful chemistry on screen.

Downey Jr. has proven to be an amazing dramatic and comedic actor, and he is able to combine both talents in order to give another fantastic performance in Due Date. Downey delivers his sarcastic and subtly hilarious dialogue perfectly, and it works well against Galifianakis' ridiculously awkward and random oddball character.

Galifianakis embodies his role perfectly; this was the role he was born to play, and he delivers countless hilarious moments and one-liners throughout the movie. Returning to the loveable goofball character that he perfected in films like The Hangover and Dinner for Schmucks, Galifianakis continues to showcase his unique brand of comedic timing, which is proving to be box office gold.

The development of Downey Jr. and Galifianakis' relationship proves to be both entertaining and touching for audiences. The pair works off of one another, and the inclusion of back stories and subplots for both characters succeeds in providing multi-dimensional character developments that resonate with viewers.

There is never a dull moment for the two characters, and even though there are a few serious moments in the film, viewers will be fully entertained by the various predicaments that continue to derail the travelers.

While the two main characters are developed and interesting, there are a few aspects of the film that prove to be unnecessary or lacking in development.

Michelle Monaghan seems wasted in this film, as her character isn't really fully fleshed out. While there was some attempt made to develop her character through a subplot including Jamie Foxx's (Valentines Day) character, the attempt just seems unnecessary and does nothing to further the plot.

The inclusion of Foxx seems like another instance of wasted talent, as he could have been useful to the film if he had been given more to work with. While his character does have a hilarious scene involving the remains of Tremblay's father being mistaken for coffee grounds, Foxx is simply not in the film enough for his talents to be fully utilized.

In the end, the film is essentially about friendship and how it can develop in the most unlikely of circumstances. Audiences will find the film charming and enjoyable, as it provides countless hilarious moments. It is a treat and a wonderfully entertaining addition to an enduring genre in film.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com