Helping Haiti

The 7.0-magnitude earthquake that recently hit Haiti was felt well beyond the Caribbean country's borders, shaking the hearts of those who wanted to help in any way they could.
When the members of Caribbean Student Association heard the news, they knew they needed to jump into action by holding a clothing drive.
'My reaction [to the earthquake] was shocking, just because it was two countries,' said Jay Stevens, a senior management major and President of the Caribbean Student Association. 'Haiti is already a poor country, and for this to happen to them, it's just devastating… words can't explain it.'
The Caribbean SA is accepting anything and everything that will aid the quake-stricken country.
Water, food, clothing and blankets will all be collected Wednesday in the Student Union lobby from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m., or they can be dropped off at the Caribbean SA office, located in 307 Student Union. Stevens said that they're giving all the donated items to the Red Cross of WNY, but also wanted to donate to an organization in the Dominican Rebublic as well.
Like many people in the U.S., Jonathan Joseph, a senior legal studies major, has family connections to Haiti and is concerned with the status of the country and it's citizens.
'A lot of homes were lost and ruined… I know my uncle owned personal property there and it was destroyed,' Joseph said. 'When I first heard about [the earthquake], I thought it was tragic. My family is devastated too. That is where they were born and raised… They have relatives out there that they could not reach.'
The unexpected natural disaster has deeply impacted Joseph and his family, and the uncertainty he sees in their eyes is a haunting image that has stayed with him since news of the earthquake.
'My father has a really good friend that recently just went over there, and he hasn't heard from him yet. He's been trying to get into contact with him,' Joseph said.
In addition to a clothing drive, the Caribbean SA is working to set up a larger fundraiser, like an ice-skating event, to help the victims of the earthquake. They encourage other clubs and campus organizations to join in on their effort.
While Joseph and others were grieving, others had no idea what had happened in the Caribbean country. Some students did not know about the earthquake in Haiti until it was discussed in one of their classes, like Carla Schory, a freshman business major.
'I didn't really know where Haiti was or what happened there until my teacher talked about it,' Schory said. 'And my English teacher mentioned it too. He told us we needed to go online and research [the earthquake], so I did.'
After hearing around campus that more and more organizations are getting involved with helping Haiti, Schory feels like she needs to do her part as well.
'I can't even fit all my clothes in my bins in my dorms, so I have stuff to get rid of,' Schory said. 'I'll definitely donate. I really want to help.'

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com