Sunday, April 28, 2024

Fun things to do around Buffalo to celebrate next month’s solar eclipse

Grab your camera and solar shades because Buffalo will be the scene of a once-in-a-lifetime event

<p>Buffalo is in the path of totality for next month's solar eclipse. | NASA, Wikimedia Commons.</p>

Buffalo is in the path of totality for next month's solar eclipse. | NASA, Wikimedia Commons.

We are less than one month away from the eclipse of a lifetime. Here are some things to do around Buffalo to make April 8 a day you’ll always remember:

Estimated times for the eclipse:

Partial eclipse begins: 2:04 p.m.

Totality begins: 3:18 p.m.

Maximum totality: 3:20 p.m.

Totality ends: 3:22 p.m.

Partial eclipse ends: 4:32 p.m.

Buffalo Zoo — 10 a.m. 

Come celebrate the eclipse with Luna the Polar Bear at the Buffalo Zoo. There will be an observation and discussion of animal behaviors during the eclipse and a meet-and-greet with zoo ambassadors.

Sahlen Field — noon

The Bisons and NASA scientists will hold a free gathering at Sahlen Field. The event will include an eclipse watch session, a Q&A and demonstrations. The first 2,000 attendees will also receive free eclipse viewing glasses. 

Outer Harbor Terminal B — noon

The Outer Harbor will be hosting an all-day eclipse event with a ribbon cutting at noon, a viewing party, food trucks, DJs and more. Afterwards, there will be a Total Eclipse Sun Run and 5K starting at 5 p.m.

North Campus— 3:18 p.m.

UB will hold an exclusive campus-wide viewing party for staff and students at Founders Plaza on North Campus and an event on South Campus. The Student Association will be giving out free eclipse glasses in the ticket office at SU.

Canalside — all day

Put on your party shoes and head over to Canalside to experience a silent disco extravaganza. There will be food and drinks and an eclipse watch party at the Naval and Military Park. You can also get free tickets to ride the heritage carousel. 

Niagara Falls — all day

Niagara Falls is one of the most scenic places to view totality. The eclipse will land perfectly over the Horseshoe Falls, with a clearer view on the Canadian side. NASA scientists will host events days leading up to the eclipse, with different activities and panels. On the Eclipse weekend, there will be power yoga, skydiving, street festivals, galaxy cookie making, wine tasting and music parties. After the eclipse has concluded, be sure to watch some fireworks on Old Fort Street. 

With up to a million people expected to come to the Queen City for this once-in-a-generation experience, preparing in advance is crucial. Grab some approved solar glasses beforehand for eye safety. Consider carpooling or using public transportation to reduce traffic. Plan to leave for your destination a few hours early to account for heavy traffic and potential delays, ensuring you’re fully prepared to enjoy this unique cosmic experience. 

Rachel Galet is the senior creative director and can be reached at rachel.galet@ubspectrum.com