Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UB drops to No. 88 in U.S. News rankings

University enters into tie with Stony Brook and Binghamton, among others

<p>UB placed No. 88 in the U.S. News &amp; World Report Best Colleges rankings</p>

UB placed No. 88 in the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings

UB dropped nine spots in the annual U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings released Monday.

Last year, UB continued its ascent in the rankings, coming in 79th nationally, a school record. This year, UB slid to 88th nationally and entered into an eight-way tie with the Colorado School of Mines, Elon University, Marquette University, University of California-Riverside, University of Iowa, University of San Diego, Binghamton University and Stony Brook University.

“We are very pleased UB has again been recognized as one of the nation’s top public universities,” provost A. Scott Weber said. “From the students’ perspective, this means that at UB they have the opportunity to learn from faculty who are leading scholars in their fields and they can participate in research projects that have the potential to change people’s lives.”

For the seventh consecutive year, UB ranked top-50 nationally in public universities, coming in at No. 34. In the Top Performers on Social Mobility list, which ranks schools by “enrollment and graduation of large proportions of disadvantaged students,” UB moved up four spots and is ranked No. 62.

The U.S. News & World Report annual rankings is in its 36th year, and uses factors such as graduation and retention rates, social mobility, graduation rate performance, undergraduate academic reputation, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, average alumni giving rate and — new for 2021 — graduate indebtedness.

Justin Weiss is the senior features editor and can be reached at justin.weiss@ubspectrum.com

JUSTIN WEISS
justin-weiss-headshot.jpg

Justin Weiss is The Spectrum's managing editor. In his free time, he can be found hiking, playing baseball or throwing things at his TV when his sports teams aren't winning. His words have appeared in Elite Sports New York and the Long Island Herald. He can be found on Twitter @Jwmlb1.