News briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

<p></p>

Campus

UB Research Institute to spotlight substance use in women

The Spring Seminar Series at UB’s Research Institute on Addictions will focus on topics ranging from the use of nicotine, drug and alcohol abuse by women to drinking issues among lesbian and bisexual women, according to UB Now.

The three-part seminar series is free of charge and open to the public. Reagan Wetherill, a research assistant professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, will open the series on Friday Mar. 9 with a talk on “Sex Differences in Nicotine Use Disorder: Findings from Neuroimaging”.

All seminars will commence on Fridays at 10 a.m. on the first floor or RIA at 1021 on UB’s Downtown Campus.

UB School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences receives grant

The Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences received a nationally issued grant from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education to implement plans of steering away from spending increasing amounts of time with electronic medical records at computers, according to UB Now.

The grant aims to make it easier for residents to spend more time providing one-on-one patient care, and communicating with patients and their caregivers at their bedside, according to Regina Makdissi, assistant professor in the department of medicine and associate director of the internal medicine residency program.

Local

Tops Markets said to prepare for bankruptcy

Tops Markets, the Williamsville, New York-based chain, which runs about 170 grocery stores with more than 14,000 employees in the Northeast, is preparing for bankruptcy filings in the coming weeks, according to a Bloomberg News report.

Tops Holdings, the owner of the supermarket chain, has come under fire in recent years for its high level of debt built up through a series of leveraged buyouts.

Tops officials declined to comment on the report.

Man beaten up, found half-naked in an alleyway

Timothy Paonessa was found half-naked and severely beaten early Saturday in an alley off Pierce Avenue in Niagara Falls, police said. He was taken to Erie County Medical Center by ambulance after losing a large amount of blood, according to the Buffalo News.

Paonessa sustained severe cuts to the forehead and right cheek areas. No suspects have been identified in connection with the attack.

National

Florida high school massacre leaves 17 dead, 14 injured

Nikolas Cruz, who killed 17 at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Wednesday admitted to carrying out the attack.

The 19-year-old perpetrator set off fire alarms during the incident, luring hundreds of students out of their classrooms so he could open fire with a semi-automatic AR-15 assault rifle.

A Florida social services agency conducted an in-home investigation of Cruz nearly a year and a half before the shooting, but determined he was at low risk of harming himself or others. The F.B.I. admitted on Friday it had failed to investigate a tip called into a hotline last month by a person close to Cruz who identified him as a gun owner intent on killing people, possibly at a school, according to the New York Times.

The attack was the deadliest U.S. school shooting since 2012 and has reignited long-running debates about tougher firearm restrictions. Survivors of the shooting have participated in emotional rallies demanding stricter gun control laws.

Jury awards more than $37 million to family of Maryland woman killed in police standoff

A jury returned a verdict Friday of more than $37 million against Baltimore County, Maryland in a civil lawsuit brought by the family and estate of a Korryn Gaines, who was killed in an armed standoff with county police, according to the attorneys for the family.

The African-American woman, who was trying to livestream the seven-hour standoff with Baltimore County police, was killed in an exchange of gunfire in which a 5-year-old boy was shot twice, according to CNN. The videos have since been taken down.

Global

7.2 earthquake in southern Mexico leaves citizens in fear

A 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck Mexico’s southern Pacific Coast on Friday at 5:39 p.m. local time, according to the United States Geological Survey.

The quake was reported to shake buildings about 225 miles away in Mexico City, where the memory of the deadly Sept. 19 earthquake that killed more than 300 people in the capital and other parts of the country has yet to subside.

No immediate deaths or injuries were reported.

Suicide bombers kill at least 20 in Nigeria

Three suicide bombers left at least 20 people dead and more than 20 injured at a fish market on the outskirts of Maiduguri, Nigeria –– the same city that gave rise to the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram.

The bombers set off the explosives on Friday at the market, about 15 miles from the city center. No one claimed responsibility for the attacks.

The attackers were all female and the victims were mostly women and children. Boko Haram has been known to deploy young women and children as suicide bombers, in addition to sending men to attack mosques, markets and other places where crowds gather, according to the New York Times.

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.