UB alumni discuss possibilities for music majors after graduation

<p>Jade Conlee is a UB graduate student who came from New York University. She received a Fulbright scholarship to study music in Germany and is currently a teaching assistant for the music department at UB.</p>

Jade Conlee is a UB graduate student who came from New York University. She received a Fulbright scholarship to study music in Germany and is currently a teaching assistant for the music department at UB.

Viral lists of the most useless majors usually include music in one of the top spots.

But several music majors, including UB alumni, have found success in the field of music post-graduation.

“You’ve definitely got to hustle with a music degree,” said Jeffrey Stadelman, chair of the Department of Music. “A job isn’t going to fall into your lap, so being proactive is definitely necessary. It’s really up to the student.”

Jade Conlee, a current UB graduate student in music, encountered a favorable experience with her music degree. After obtaining a degree from New York University in piano performance, Conlee received a Fulbright scholarship to study music in Germany. She is currently a teaching assistant for the music department.

“I was never put off from the music major,” Conlee said. “I was raised to view things positively and I also loved music.”

At UB, music majors can obtain a bachelor’s of the arts in music or a musical performance degree called a Mus. B. The focus of the BA is the academics behind music, such as musical theory and history, rather than musical performance. The Mus. B focuses on honing a student’s performative skill in instrumental work, as well as vocal.

Each music major is paired with a faculty member who works one-on-one with the student during his or her studies. In order to get into the major, students must audition and before graduation put together a recital for faculty to judge.

Seth Stachowski is UB alumnus who currently works as a composer for Cirque du Soleil. He said the skills students obtain while studying music can help in the job market.

“Playing music is a synchronized, highly organized group activity. It requires the integration of the body and mind,” Stadelman said. “Looking at music on a résumé, an employer can see a very valuable team member.”

Some students obtain day jobs to keep a steady income while keeping up with music. Some freelance with bands or as solo acts, while others take more traditional jobs in the music field.

Maria Chomicka, has a Mus. B in piano from UB and currently works as a piano teacher and church musician. She also freelances and plays at weddings and receptions.

“There’s a lot of hard work and dedication to being a music major,” Chomicka said. “I had a heavy course load and still had to find time for practicing and the ensembles I took part in.”

She, like many other music majors, feels that the major has a negative reputation due to the nature of its job market.

“You’re not going to land a 70K starting job like you can with engineering,” Stadelman said. “But the outlook isn’t so grim – students just have to work hard.”

Nina DiGregorio, founder of Bella Electric Strings Las Vegas, is a graduate of UB’s music department. DiGregorio is a classical violinist and arranger who has played for artists such as Toni Braxton and Shakira. Bella Strings provides string players for music videos and concerts.

For Conlee, she’s been moving since she graduated from NYU.

“A lot of people say music majors can’t find work, but I’ve been paid to play piano since I graduated,” Conlee said.

One of the best things Stadelman feels that UB students are offered is support. She said the faculty is a particularly useful resource, which serves to guide students throughout and even after their graduation. Students also receive access to private practice rooms and technology such as recording rooms.

Thanya Theogene is a news staff writer and can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com