Top pumpkin and apple picking farms in Buffalo

<p>Pumpkin patches around Buffalo, like The Great Pumpkin Farm, are a perfect Halloween activity to try if you’re not a big fan of haunted houses or other scary Halloween activities.</p>

Pumpkin patches around Buffalo, like The Great Pumpkin Farm, are a perfect Halloween activity to try if you’re not a big fan of haunted houses or other scary Halloween activities.

Many UB students are far away from home may feel trapped on campus because they aren’t particularly familiar with the Buffalo area.

Among the different events held on UB’s campus for Halloween, there are a handful of things to do off campus as well. Apple and pumpkin picking are popular Halloween activities around the country, so here is a list of the places in Buffalo where one can enjoy the holiday.

The Great Pumpkin Farm

The Great Pumpkin Farm is located at 11199 Main Street in Clarence and is free during the weekdays – yes, free. The free weekday attractions include a hay maze, petting zoo and playground.

During the weekends, admission is only $7. This fee includes magic shows, a cow train, pony rides, slingshots, duck races, amusement rides and more.

India Younger, a graduate psychology student, said The Great Pumpkin Farm is where she likes to go during the fall.

“It has a wide variety of activities including pumpkin picking, carving pumpkins, group tours, hay rides, horse rides and even a petting zoo for kids,” Younger said. “It's a great way to enjoy the fall weather here.”

Pumpkin picking pricing varies depending on how much the pumpkin weighs.

Blackman Homestead Farms

Younger also enjoys going to the Blackman Homestead Farms, a family-owned apple-picking farm.

“You can pick fresh in season apples from here, go on tours, learn how to make your own cider and even make apple pies,” Younger said.

The Blackman Homestead Farms is located at 4472 Thrall Road in Lockport. There are more than 15 varieties of apples to pick on their farm along with concord grapes and pears.

There is apple cider for thirst quenching and a straw climbing area for children so they can tag along.

Pumpkinville

Pumpkinville, located at 4844 Sugartown Road in Great Valley, is also a great choice for pumpkin related fun.

This farm is free all of the time – not just on weekdays.

People can pick pumpkins, watch apple cider squeezed and observe the surroundings of the hilly area.

They also offer hayrides, mazes, a dance with singing chickens and pedal cart races.

Admission is $11 for an activity wristband, but activities such as the Spookum Barn and the pumpkin punch ’em race don’t require a wristband.

Becker Farms

Just down the road from Pumpkinville at 3724 Quaker Road in Gasport is Becker Farms.

Erin Swain, a junior media study major, frequented the farm a few times for apple picking as a child, but Becker Farms can be a fun activity for all ages.

The farm is well known for its apple-picking opportunities. It has several different types of apples like Empire, Red Delicious and Cortland for $4.50 a quart, $12 for half of a bushel or $20 for a full bushel.

Becker Farms also has a bakery and sells homemade jam and fudge.

Hen-Hawk Acres

Hen-Hawk Acres is located at 13439 Genesee Road in Chaffee, is family-owned and operated and is open all year around.

“I remember seeing really odd-looking pumpkins,” said Titilola Ogbeide, a senior health and human services major. “I was actually really happy because I didn’t want a normal pumpkin and that’s literally all they had – weird pumpkins.”

Visitors can also pick gourds, pumpkins, apples, straw bales and more.

And like Ogbeide said, Hen-Hawk Acres takes pride in its “funky” shaped pumpkins.

You can also try jellies, jams, pork or beef, which are sold at the farm.

Ty Adams is a features staff writer. Features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com