Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Warming Up to the Buffalo Winter

It's that time again. Snow is falling, wind speed is rising, and students are trading in their sweatshirts for parkas. Of all the things that Buffalo is known for, the city's weather is among the most notorious.

Trudging from class to class and campus to campus, students attending UB are forced to deal with the frigid winter and treacherous winds. Those coming from outside the city have to learn to adapt.

Despite an uncharacteristically temperate December, the first month of 2012 is starting to look a lot like typical Buffalo winter. Already, there has been a record-breaking snowfall on Jan. 13, reaching 6.3 inches, breaking the old record of 5.1 inches set back in 2000, according to the National Weather Service.

UB provides its students with multiple ways to escape the harsh outdoor environment. Almost all of North Campus has connecting indoor hallways, and the UB Stampede has stops all around the university, so students don't have to hike through the snow.

"I had my doubts about coming [to UB] due to the weather," said Amy Gallagher, a sophomore communication major. "I mainly heard there was a lot of snow here, and to make sure [I was] prepared."

Nikki Alben, a first-year social work graduate student, has spent a total of five years in the Queen City, the first four at Buffalo State. The most essential thing for surviving Buffalo, according to Alben, is a real winter jacket. Unfortunately, she has yet to purchase one even after spending half a decade in Buffalo's notorious weather.

"I hate winter. I hate snow. I hate coldness. I really hate when it's cold and windy and I hate that the snow ruins my Uggs," Alben said. "[But] I love Buffalo the city."

With the sporadic, harsh weather that Buffalo is known for, problems arise, especially when bringing automobiles into the picture.

"The buses are greatly affected by the snow and cold weather," Gallagher said. "I think they need to be more on top of getting people where they need to be, while taking precautions."

Accidents happen, bus schedules get delayed, and streets need to be plowed, so it's important to plan ahead and be ready when things take unexpected turns. Many students learn that certain things should always be on hand, like shovels, ice scrappers, salt, and extra tires.

Fortunately for those who like to party, Buffalo's nightlife does not take a pause when the streets turn white. According to Gallagher, if she wants to go out, she'll go out. No amount of snow is going to stop her. Furthermore, Alben said if she has a coat, she's all set to go out at night and party.

While some hide in their dorms until the cold passes, many students like to make the most out of the weather. People snowboard, ski, ice-skate, and even participate in events such as snowball fights, and snowmen making contests.

A winter in Buffalo can be overwhelming at first, but after learning how to battle the cold, it's just as pleasant as the Buffalo summer.