Monday, April 29, 2024

Gleeks Unite

In a room full of students belting out Michael Jackson and Frank Sinatra, strutting their dancing prowess with moves like the Bernie, the sprinkler, the robot, the monkey, and the pelvic thrust, it's almost impossible to believe that this a typical club meeting.

Members of the UB Glee Club, however, prepares for upcoming rehearsal by singing, dancing, and listening to some of their favorite hits. The sounds of melodic warm ups – buzzing, humming, and tuneful tongue twisters - might confuse students passing by the SU Flag Room late at night. But this is just a normal routine for UB's Glee Club.

Jenna Dunlay, the UB Glee president and junior theatre major, walked into the Flag Room with a huge synthesizer in hand, ready to lead the club's rehearsal. Not only does Dunlay teach the music, lead warm ups, run rehearsals, and help choose the music the club sings, but she also finds the time to choreograph most songs, and run social events with other SA Clubs.

"Glee is one of my top priorities, probably more so than my school work," Dunlay said.

As the girls worked on their choreography for the club's upcoming Throwback Attack! Show –fthis Sunday in the SU Theatre at 6 p.m. – it was apparent that the club takes more than just hard work it takes dedication. The club is also about having fun, making friends, and expressing yourself.

"I love to sing and dance," said Naita Howell, a freshman accounting major. "I feel like I can express myself with people who like to do the same thing."

This is Howell's first semester as a member of UB Glee, and according to her, it's quite a different experience than being in a high school Glee club. She believes that at UB, the club members are able to have much more input into what goes on. In high school, students just sing whichever songs the teachers tell them to sing.

"Here I can sing whatever song I want," Howell said. "I can express myself, so I'm more open,"

For the most recent show, each member submitted songs that they wanted to sing and, in a very democratic nature, they voted on what they think will work best as a group. The members work hard to pick songs and routines that are best for everyone.

Matthew McHale, the UB Glee treasurer and a senior math major, said that he has an extreme love for performance and singing, but it's mainly the club members that keep him coming back every week.

"The people are fun. They're not shy. They're not afraid," McHale said. "Some guys are afraid of showing their music side [because they think] ‘Oh it makes [me] gay.' But [here] everyone loves what they do and we get along great because of it."

The club manages to stay close, supportive, and entertaining despite the hectic rehearsals, which occur about three times a week.

"It's crazy fun. It's the best thing that's ever happened to me, at least in school," Dunlay said. "It's hard work, but it's hard work that's not school work. [You see] people that have never danced before in their life busting out some crazy hip-hop s***."

From hip-hop to country, Glee covers it all; It is not constricted to just Broadway hits. This Sunday's concert will be an ode to throwback music and a break away from "Top 40s" music.

The UB Glee club is not to be confused with Glee the TV show. They might share a name, but that doesn't mean that the club acts like a high school soap opera. That is one thing UB students probably don't understand, according to Dunlay.

UB Glee won't even touch a song that's been sung on the show so that the club can keep its individuality, according to McHale.

"I guess people think we're trying to be very much like the show," McHale said. "But we want to be something different."

Students start out shy, but eventually become a part of the group and love what they're doing, according to Dunlay.

"I think that when people think [of] Glee Club they think it's cheesy and they think we're all pregnant," Dunlay said. "It's crazy how much people have improved and how much people have come out of their shells. I definitely think that's the best part."