Cold Feet and Warm Hearts

Some will run in with full force and excitement; submerging themselves in icy, frigid waters. Others will cringe as their toes approach the torment ahead, reluctantly advancing, but fully reassured that their next few steps will all be worth it.

This is all part of an annual Western New York tradition: the Polar Plunge.

Each year, plungers pledge to take a dip into icy Lake Erie to raise thousands of dollars in support of the Special Olympics. Organizations ranging from police departments to local universities put their best foot forward as they step into freezing waters for this twisted display of compassion.

This year, the event will be held on Dec. 3 at Woodlawn Beach, and Team UB will be participating for the third year in a row. All that is required is that students raise a minimum of $25 per team to take the plunge. This $25 covers transportation to and from the event, food, and a T-shirt. Those who raise a minimum of $100 will get the official Special Olympics Polar Plunge Sweatshirt and are eligible for more prizes as they raise more money.

Last year, Team UB, with about 110 participants, raised the most money out of all of the local universities that participated. This year they are aiming even higher, with expectations to recruit over 150 participants and raise at least $15,000.

This task may seem grand, but with the enthusiasm showed by repeat participants it appears to be a feasible goal, according to Ryan Taughrin, a graduate student studying higher education administration.

"Last year I only went in to my thighs…this year I have this idea, where the more I raise…I'll get down to my bathing suit and I'll try go in all the way up to my neck," Taughrin said. "If I get to $500 dollars, I'm going to do that."

Taughrin has already raised over $270, and plans to raise a lot more to encourage others to get involved, whether it's for the thrill or the philanthropy.

Many resort to various amusing tactics to encourage enthusiasm and promote participation, especially on dive day.

"When you get there…it kind of turns into a mini competition between who can be the most ridiculous," said Nick Salerno, a junior pre-health and biomedical science major. "I remember last year there was a Flintstone cast…they all dressed up as the Flintstones [characters] to dive."

Salerno says that attending the polar plunge was part of his bucket list of things to do while attending UB.

"My goal is to, by the end of college, go under," said Kittie Pizzutelli, a junior management major.

Pizzutelli ended up with a minor foot injury last year, and in spite of it, still intends to participate in this year's plunge. This year, she will be wearing her shoes while entering the icy water.

Amy Wilson, event coordinator for Team UB, got involved for a more personal reason.

"I got involved because I have a niece who has Down syndrome," Wilson said. "She lives a thousand miles away from me, but it's the one thing I can do to support her and the others out there who have special needs."

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com