A Week in Ink: Issue No. 34

If "Justice League No. 2" could've gone on pay-per-view, the fight between Green Lantern, Flash, Batman and the Man of Steel would've shattered sales the world over. Unfortunately, until we live in a world with some sort of heroic fisticuffs that shatter entire city blocks, Geoff Johns' latest ink and panel exploit will suffice.

Heroes collide in epic fashion as Flash dodges stray jabs from Superman; Hal Jordan has his hands full keeping the Kryptonian from crushing the Dark Knight, and all the while the world watches in complete bemusement. And Johns is only getting started.

The reboot left copious room for characters to expand beyond their original scope, and Johns takes the heroes' fabled beginnings and runs with them. Before the issue's end, a tenuous alliance appears in the distance as the tepid team begins to see that the threat is of extraterrestrial proportions.

Jim Lee and Scott Williams collaborate to produce some of the most stunning imagery in comics today, and "Justice League No. 2" is no exception. Reimagined armored icons clash in vivid detail, gracing readers with absolutely mind-melting images and splash pages that almost beg to be framed.

The series is quintessential to any reader's pull-lists, but for those unacquainted to Johns' world of whimsy and super-human wonder, begin right here and now.

Uncanny X-Men No. 544

2011 has been a turbulent year in Marvel's multiverse. The Ultimate universe losing its web-slinging wonder boy, Peter Parker, and now the events of Schism leading to the dissipation of Xavier's original dreams.

With 50 years – minus a few minor setbacks – under its utility belt, Uncanny is one of the longest-running hero comics of all-time. And while there's hope on the horizon for a reboot for one of Marvel's most historically important intellectual properties, fans now must say good-bye to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's unforgettable series.

Writer Kieron Gillen and artist Greg Land work in near perfect form to give the comic a proper farewell.

Opening with a page torn straight from the '60s classic, Uncanny begins with a long slew of fond memories and awkward, but insightful moments into Scott Summer's and Bobby Drake's enduring adventures.

All of this heartwarming is heralded by one of the mutants' most noteworthy antagonists, Mr. Sinister. While the diabolical deviant's future involvement is, at this point, unknown, the homage to a time long past is well received.

Gillen's fitting conclusion leaves little to be desired, as a moment of clarity and closure emanates from the issue's final panels. While the issue, as a whole, serves merely as a send-off to the historic franchise, the end of a generation is never easy...but Gillen pulled it off.

Mass Effect: Invasion No. 1

Aria T'Loak, the empress of Omega and one of Mass Effect 2's most powerful women, has a bit of pest problem. Not space rodents or intergalactic bed bugs, but aliens straight out of the history books seeking an unholy retribution that will ruin this once well-fortified bastion of scum and villainy.

In order to call in the exterminator, Aria must align herself with the wrong kind of people, namely the Illusive Man. With Cerberus' possibly deceptive aid in the upcoming war, Aria is ready to lead her people to their demise at the depths of the final frontier.

With a story from Mac Walters, the head writer of BioWare's Mass Effect team, there should be a bit more substance to this relatively partial issue. The story follows in its digital forerunner's footsteps with its cinematic sequences and robust character development, but as far as actual plot, this soul-successor seems a bit lifeless.

Artwork by Mass Effect series vet Omar Francia works to enhance the scenes of prolonged biotic usage and glowing tech apparatuses, but it can't seem to bring the same zeal to the other panels.

Thankfully, the series will be a four issue set and while "Mass Effect: Invasion No. 1" didn't break any boundaries, there's hope in the distance for this role-playing turned shooter syndicated series.

For fans that can't wait for the third iteration of BioWare's sensational space odyssey to hit shelves in early March, Mass Effect: Invasion serves as the ideal supplement to a diet high in sci-fi.