Halaal at Last!

It was once very difficult for Muslim students to follow a strict Muslim diet because of the limited choice of places to eat on campus. Now, however, there is a halaal option at Putnam's.

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) has been working hard for five years to get Campus Dining & Shops (CDS) to offer a halaal option, which refers to the food allowed in a devout Muslim's diet, on campus.

It is a common misunderstanding that halaal refers to what is not allowed; this word is actually haraam. Haraam foods tend to be pork, seafood, alcohol, parts of certain animals, blood or blood products, and animals that were not slaughtered in the proper way or not slaughtered in the name of Allah.

Halaal allows for many dining options and is still able to satisfy almost any palate. The proper way of slaughtering an animal for halaal consumption is considered the most humane. One simply makes a swift, clean cut along the neck to sever the arteries and windpipe, allowing the animal to die quickly and with minimal pain.

"Being one of the most diverse institutes in the country, UB is obliged to cater to the needs of its diverse student body," said MSA president Sikander Mohammed Khan. "Steps such as these will make UB one of the most encompassing and pioneer[ing] campus[es] by 2020."

Now students interested in dining on halaal food can walk into Putnam's in the Student Union and help themselves to refrigerated meals that are heated in microwaves. The meals themselves are provided by Salam-At Market, which delivers the pre-made carry-out to CDS for students, faculty and staff of any race or creed.

"I eat it almost every day," Khan said. "So does every other Muslim student, and many non-Muslims, too."

Although there is only a small selection right now, CDS and MSA are working together to have more choices for next year, as well as choices in the dining halls and other places on campus. There is even talk of a halaal-friendly restaurant, space permitting.

"The sales have been great," said Putnam's manager Mary Butler. "It has created a lot of awareness amongst non-Muslim students about the Muslim culture."

Other ways that the MSA is trying to make Muslim students more comfortable on campus include workshops, community service events, gender and race relation panels, and many lectures from prominent Muslims from around the world.

The most notable event coming up is a talk given by Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, otherwise known as the spiritual leader for the Park51 project that was nicknamed the "Victory Mosque." The talk will take place at the Center for Tomorrow on North Campus Jan. 29 from 6 to 9 p.m.

Whether students are trying to adhere to their religious beliefs, are curious about what different foods are like, or are simply interested in foods that are prepared in the halaal fashion, the new option helps to expand both the dining experience at UB, as well as the cultural experience.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com