Expand your cultural lens' at LGBTQ Bazaar

Wednesday kicks off the first of five bazaars encouraging UB students to appreciate diversity.

The Intercultural and Diversity Center (IDC), in partnership with the Wellness Education Center, will host the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ) Bazaar.

One of the co-directors for the event, Elizabeth Smith, a graduate assistant for student programming in the Intercultural & Diversity Center, is very excited and looking forward to Wednesday.

"It's fun," Smith said, "It's celebratory. This bazaar is a celebration. And we have just confirmed that there will be a few drag queens for a drag show."

There will be food, music, and crafts as diverse as the LGBTQ members themselves. Additionally, there will be a trivia table with prizes. A raffle will award students with UB memorabilia and Campus Cash.

Students, faculty and staff attending the event can view the Faces of Pride poster, featuring well-known people such as politicians and celebrities who are out and proud. Another feature will be the creation of an Equality Quilt. This is a creative outlet for any participant to reflect his or her feelings about the LGBTQ community. Equality quilts from previous years will be unfurled.

Carlos Camacho, a senior sociology major and a member of the bazaar's planning committee, urges all students and staff to attend.

"People should attend the bazaar to expand their cultural lens, learn more about LGBT individuals and have a good time with others who are yearning to do the same thing." Camacho said. "It is a fun space to celebrate LGBTQ people and their experience as well as celebrate allies to the LGBT community."

Smith urges students to get involved and help out with at least one of the many bazaars held throughout the year. Interested students can contact Smith in the IDC in 240 Student Union.

Join in on the pride and check out the bazaar from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.