Mix of emotions

On 9/11, the world was changed forever for Americans.

???Remembering that day, people exchange stories of where they were when the news broke and they saw the graphic footage of the terrorist attacks.

???The one common bond that all Americans shared in the aftermath was an overwhelming sense of pride. People were proud to be Americans after being part of a country coming together under one common goal-ending terrorism.

On Election Day, I found myself with that same feeling. When Sen. Barack Obama was officially elected president, the face of America changed forever. Obama won the White House with 53 percent of the popular vote and captured 365 electoral votes to McCain's 173.

???The need for change was so apparent that people put aside their fears and prejudices to move towards that change.

???Many people never thought they'd see the day a black man would be elected president. The past year has presented so many twists and turns for the Obama administration that to think he'd be standing in the winner's circle at the end was hard to imagine.

???The historic implications of this event will be felt for generations to come. The doors have been busted open for women and children of every race to be able to dream as big as they want without any gender or color barrier looming in their mind.

???While many Americans rejoiced when Obama gave his victory speech, there will still be people with concerns for the future. Critics worry that Obama lacks the experience needed to effectively run a country in need.

???The task of being president holds so much pressure and responsibility that I don't see even the most seasoned politician being fully prepared for their first term. Experience isn't necessarily as important as vision, and I think this country needs a new one.

???George W. Bush spent the past eight years ruining our country's reputation abroad and left office with America in the worst economic state since the Great Depression.

???With the promise of change comes great expectations, and Obama seems ready to meet that challenge head on. The impact of any setback will be larger because he is the first black president.

???If another terrorist attack occurs, the backlash could be ugly. Despite the level of his incompetence, Bush kept this country safe for over seven years. Obama must maintain national security, which I believe he will succeed at during his tenure.

???In the days following Election Day I experienced a slight interruption to my feeling of pride in that historic day. A brief sadness came over me as I witnessed a small portion of society still clinging to hatred.

???The way some people attempt to bring down Obama is a direct product of discrimination and fear.

???I heard people, throughout the campaign, try and explain how Obama is a Muslim, though it has been documented that he practices Christianity. I actually heard someone say that it doesn't matter that he was elected because he'll get shot down before long.

???What kind of person actually thinks like that and, for that matter, looks forward to such an incident? I think it might have something to do with the fear of someone different doing a better job than someone who you can relate to.

???It's a shame, because we have come so far in the battle against racism, but I guess it's comments like this that display how far we have to go. In case anyone like that is reading, we don't control what color our skin is.

???Disregarding the ignorance of a small portion of society, the American people have spoken and their voice rings loud and clear.

???Obama is the answer that we have been searching for since that first plane hit the tower and America became united in hope. That is, after all, the message that he sends on a daily basis: That every man is created equal and the fight against terrorism should ultimately be the search for peace and that hope is for every American, black or white.

???I am proud to be American today, when hope has been restored and the American people are once again a top priority.