Cleanup in University Heights could take up to three weeks

Students living on or around North Campus are in luck as things begin to return to normalcy after a snowstorm left thousands without power over the weekend, but those who live near South Campus might not be so fortunate.

Despite the fact that 1,300 people showed up for free emergency meals on North Campus this past Friday, Louis Schmitt, director of UB Facilities Operations, assures that everything is now operating as it should on both campuses.

"All of the electrical power is working. Offices are functioning and classes have resumed, both on North and South Campus," Schmitt said.

Joe Krakowiak, director of University Residence Halls and Apartments, concurred.

"We're back to normal," he said. "The majority of our staff is back, and our food service is back."

However, according to E-District Police Lieutenant Randall Ammernan, it could take longer before neighborhoods near South Campus are back to normal.

"I'm not an expert, but we hope it will be a week," he said. "Other forecasts say it could be up to three weeks."

Ammernan said there are still people without power in the South Campus area, as power lines are down and trees have not yet been cleared. Certain traffic lights are still not working either, he said.

"The big thing is when you come to an intersection, come to a complete stop," he said.

Ammernan also advised against using a generator inside a house. Others stressed the importance of using caution while walking and biking.

"There are a lot of branches that haven't fallen down yet," Gerald Schoenle, Chief of University Police said. "The bike path is also closed because of fallen trees."

While power has been restored at both North and South Campus, Schmitt said it would take weeks to clean up the campuses. Instead of mowing lawns, ground workers will be focusing on the aftermath of the storm.

"We will be spending weeks picking up trees and cutting up branches. Ground workers will be working overtime," he said.

Costs for the cleanup efforts may be covered by Federal Emergency Management Agency funds, Schmitt said. He was, however, unsure of how likely that would be.

After concerns of looting and a few instances of burglary, UB Chief of Police Gerald Schoenle said there was no considerable crime on North Campus.

"We didn't have anything serious, it was just like any Friday night," he said. "I would attribute (misbehavior) to not having school."

Additional security measures have been implemented in the South Campus region, according to Ammernan.

"We have the National Guard here, and police are patrolling the areas," he said.