The Sharpest Point: Who's Next to Get Off of the Coaching Carousel

The security of a head coach's job has never been in a greater state of flux these days, so naturally we decided to throw a "who's next" question at this week's contestants.

Joe Torre. Andy Reid. Phil Jackson. Glen Sather. All of their names have been linked in stories regarding a possible change, but which one will be the first to go via firing, resignation or a nasty episode where "I quit!" is shouted with furor?

Points are awarded on a 10-point scale for style, factual evidence and strength of argument. The winner advances to the second round to be played later this semester.

Patrick Finch (Staff Reporter): OK, let's first start by eliminating Joe Torre and Glen Sather from any consideration. Yes, I know they are both coaches in the Big Apple where people's ephemeral patience for failure has claimed the likes of Don Chaney, Mike Jarvis, Jim Fassel, and Byron Scott if you count the Nets.

But lets not forget what Joe Torre has done for the Yanks. His personable demeanor and decisive managing skills helped to resurrect the Yankees from their 13-year 'dark era' from 1982 to 1995. Torre's job is safe for as long as he wants it.

As far as Glen Sather, perhaps he will step down from head coaching duties at the end of the season, but he is the President and General Manager!

Andy Reid's job is also safe. He is constantly regarded as one of the best coaches in the league. In his four years with Philly he has amassed a 46-18 record with three NFC championship appearances.

It has to be Phil Jackson. Besides the fact that he has ridden his career on the backs of some of the game's greatest players, his big guns in Gary Payton, Karl Malone, and Kobe Bryant all are free agents at the end of the year. And the West's big men are starting to figure out Shaqzilla, (i.e. Yao Ming this past Wednesday). Not to mention that Phil's new contract talks have already stalled until the end of the season.

I think there is a good chance their will be a changing of the guard in the city of Angels even if they win it all, and certainly if they are eliminated from the playoffs like they were last year. Oh yeah, and I hate Phil Jackson.

Jeremy G. Burton (Asst. Campus News Editor): There's an old saying in Madison Square Garden: if you chant it, he will come. That "he," of course, is whatever coach replaces the one you're chanting to be fired. And having already worked for Knicks fans this season, it'll work for Rangers fans too.

Out of the four, the first to go will be Glen Sather, who's guided the disappointing blue shirts to a paltry 32-34-17-7 record in 90 games as coach. The man is as marked as Bill Buckner in a Boston sports bar. Excuses for this expensive underachieving team were few to begin with, and everyone knows how ridiculous the Jagr trade was. The Rangers needed D, not O, and when they miss the playoffs again, you'll able to hear the FI-RE SA-THER chants all they way in Buffalo.

Fact is, the only move Sather hasn't made yet is signing Manute Bol to play goal, and even that would make more sense than most of his other deals. Faced with another lost season, President Sather will have no choice but to have GM Sather fire Coach Sather. End of story.

If anything else, time and winning records are on the other choices' sides. Three straight NFC championship appearances (albeit losses) have Andy Reid's job safe at least into next fall. Joe Torre may hang up his pinstripes when his contract expires, but that won't be until next October, seven months after the hockey season ends. And even if Dalai Lama-wannabe Phil Jackson does decide to decline a contract extension or isn't offered one, that won't be until after the end of the NBA playoffs, which last longer than the playoffs for Basketball.

Glen, you're on deck.

JN: I'm going to start off by saying I don't agree with either of the two's choices. I think the Rangers will keep Sather around at least until they start the season 3-15 or whatever sub par start they'll get off to. And I don't think Phil is going anywhere.

But as far as style goes, Burton takes it 7-5 for the Bill Buckner comment. Then there's the factual evidence, in which Finch seems to have more factual evidence for who it won't be than for Jackson.

Sather's record as a coach of the most underachieving hockey team ever is evidence enough. So Burton takes it 6-5. As far as strength of argument goes, both make strong points, but I'll give Finch the nod 6-5.

JB: Finch seems to have swallowed the poison that other "first round and out" competitors have dabbled in by taking too much time choosing who they aren't choosing.

That gives Burton the 8-5 edge in strength of argument. Both writers used style to their advantage, but Burton really wowed me and earned the 9-7 nod in that category.

As for factual evidence, I believe Finch and Burton each made statements that will come true, but Sather should surely go first. Ranger fans probably noticed what happened when their in-house brother Knick fans started to voice their displeasure, and that will most likely lead to an insurrection among the blueshirt faithful after the atrocities that Sather has committed. Burton takes it 9-7.

Final Score: "Jammin'" Jeremy Burton 44, "Pistol" Pat Finch 35