Students Hopeful for Simpson's Tenure

As John B. Simpson prepares to move from his house in Santa Cruz to the presidential mansion on Lebrun Road in Amherst, UB students are discussing what the transition of power will mean for the university.

Some said the university's flaws -- many of which, they say, are quality of life issues -- will challenge Simpson.

But for the most part, undergraduates and graduate students expressed optimism about the new president. Many students cited Simpson's outsider status as a benefit, because he could bring a unique perspective to UB.

Ruth Kleinman, a junior psychology and sociology double major, said the differences between UB and the University of California at Santa Cruz, which some members of the community have said might hurt Simpson, could give the new president a fresh approach to the office.

"His past and now current schools are probably very different in student population, location and academics," Kleinman said. "He might bring up new goals and ideas instead of sticking with the same ones UB has had in the past."

Kleinman said Simpson, whose background is also in psychology, could find different ways to motivate students and fight apathy on campus.

However, some students said though Simpson's outsider status would be a benefit, they hoped things would not change too much.

"I think his - it's almost a foreignness - to the university will give him an advantage," said Alex Bohn, a sophomore physics major. "Things that perhaps President (William R.) Greiner and the rest of the university looked over because we've been so accustomed to them will be readily apparent to Simpson. He's taking a fresh look at the school."

"On the other hand, I can't say I was too unhappy with life under Greiner," Bohn said. "All I'm really looking for is status quo."

Others see new blood as a chance to change the institutional goals of UB on a practical level.

"I think it would really help the university to raise admissions standards," said Evan Haas, a junior computer engineering major. "The size of this year's admission class was very large, and I think it would help the university more to increase requirements rather then just accept such large numbers of students."

Bohn said he believes some undergraduate programs were neglected during the Greiner administration in favor of athletics, and he hopes Simpson will work to reverse that trend.

"I feel like I'd want Simpson to do more with a struggling department, one that isn't getting much recognition," Bohn said. "President Greiner worked to boost our sports programs, especially football, and maybe Simpson could try to round out maybe the theater program, or the music program."

Scott Chapman, a senior theater design and technology major, would like to see more courses offered as well as a renewed focus on funding for the arts.

"Give more money and support to the arts, get bigger concerts and touring shows to come to UB," Chapman said. "If the arts had more money, we wouldn't have to worry so much about our rather small budget, but we work really well with what we have."

Chapman, also a resident advisor in Goodyear Hall, said he wishes the new president would spend more energy cleaning up the dorms, particularly on South Campus. Simpson will be successful if he focuses on improving the quality of life for the UB student, he said.

Though the transition to new leadership may bring UB's problems to light, students seemed optimistic about the directions Simpson's leadership can take.