Tuesday, May 07, 2024

From Fruits and Nuts to Ghosts and Goblins - a History of Halloween

Trick or treat, smell my feet. . .

This traditional children's holiday rhyme stems from Trick 'O' Treating, which has its origins in the British celebration of All Saint's Day. During this day, the poor would go begging for "soul cakes." This practice was known as "going-a-souling," and recipients of the cakes would in turn promise to say a prayer for the dead.

As time passed, this tradition transformed into a day when children dressed as beggars and went door to door collecting apples, money and other treats. When the practice found its way to America, housewives began giving children candy when they yelled "Trick or Treat."

This festive custom, however, is only one aspect of the Halloween celebration. The holiday dates back thousands of years and is a composite of many cultures, including Pomona Day from the Romans, Samhain from the Celts, and All Saints' and All Souls' Day from Christian practices.

Much of the holiday's meaning comes from October, marking the end of "the season of sun" and the beginning of "the season of darkness and cold." After all the crops were harvested and stored on Oct. 31, Celtic priests met in the dark forests among sacred oak trees to light fires and offer animal sacrifices. This meeting would go through the night, marking the passing of the sun and welcoming the season of darkness.

Celebrations continued into the first of November. During Samhain, a three-day festival beginning Nov. 1, people would dress up in costumes made from animal skins and heads. This practice was the first true Halloween celebration.

When the Romans invaded Britain, they brought with them several traditions. One of these was Pomona Day, also celebrated on Nov. 1, named after the goddess of fruits and gardens. After hundreds of years, the celebration of the two cultures mixed into one holiday.

In 835 AD, the Roman Catholic Church marked Nov. 1 as the saint-honoring holiday, All Saints' Day, otherwise known as Hallowmas. Nov. 2 became All Souls' Day, a holiday to honor the dead, and was celebrated with parades, bonfires, and costumes of saints, angels, and devils.

Despite the new holidays, early traditions were not forgotten, and on Oct. 31, Hallowmas (which means All Hallow's Eve), Samhain and Pomona Day continued to be celebrated. Eventually, though, the multiple holidays merged and became known as All Hallow Even, which eventually became Halloween.

This integration is easily seen in modern-day Halloween celebrations with the fruits, nuts, and harvesting symbols from Pomona Day, black cats and morbid themes from Samhain, and the ghoulish festivities complete with skeletons and ghosts from All Saint's Day and All Souls Day.

All information taken from www.holidays.net.