Misplaced Invite Costs Bulls Tourny Bid

A failure of communication with the National Collegiate Athletic Association bid committee, headed by director Greg Christ, has apparently caused the UB Bulls men's basketball team to miss participating in this year's National Invitation Tournament.

At some, undetermined point in late March, a sealed envelope was placed in UB Director of Athletics Bob Arkeilpane's mailbox. The envelope had the official NCAA logo emblazoned on it and the words "Important Notice" stamped below the return address, according to sources.

"I was not expecting anything from the NCAA and when this letter appeared in my mailbox I was deeply astonished that they would send me, and by extension, the university, any mail," said Arkeilpane.

Arkeilpane's anger burned with a righteous fury when he read the contents of the letter, inviting UB to participate in the tournament after years of mediocrity.

"Once I opened the letter and saw our NIT basketball bid staring me in the face I was outraged."

The university has contacted the NCAA several times regarding the matter, but the NCAA has been elusive in responding to the situation. When university representatives visited NCAA headquarters in Chapel Hill, N.C., knocks on the door went unanswered and lights in the building were hastily turned off, according to Arkeilpane.

They did, however, release a brief statement defending their actions.

"The National Collegiate Athletic Association has taken all the necessary steps to get to the bottom of this. We regret that a bureaucratic error cost the University at Buffalo their due recognition. UB has received a National Invitational Tournament bid, and we will make sure it is noted on a national level."

"Oops, sorry," the statement added.

After a 12-win season, including a dramatic home win over the Kent State Golden Flashes, who advanced to the Elite Eight in this year's NCAA tournament, the Bulls hoped their improved performance would earn them a bid.

"This is simply outrageous that we can get shafted like that," said senior guard Gabe Cagwin. "We worked so hard all season long and deserve to be in the postseason."

Last year the Bulls won a total of four games, and were searching for respect. This year they earned that respect and proved they could compete with any team on any day. That should have been good enough for a bid, at least in the eyes of many of the Bulls.

"We made so much progress this season and started to show just how capable of a program we have here at UB," said men's basketball head coach Reggie Witherspoon. "I though we had a shot at an at-large NIT bid, but the fact we were notified after the tournament ended is disheartening."

"This must be a joke, I cannot believe the NCAA could make such a mistake," said senior forward Darcel Williams. "It is disappointing and I would be lying if I said was not raging inside."

Sources speculate the official document fell behind the secretary's desk and it was not discovered until recently when the office manager bent down to pick up a cookie he was feasting on during a mid-day snack.

"I have heard a lot about a lost letter. I don't know the true story, but I'm hearing quite a few rumors about our bid being mishandled," said Paul Vecchio, director of athletics communications. "The bottom line is our bid did not come in time and we missed out on our chance to play in the postseason."

UB plans to pursue this matter further and push the NCAA for compensation for the mishap. Inside reports have said the school will look to receive extra funding for athletics, more scholarships or perhaps even an automatic postseason berth next season.

Arkeilpane supported these claims. "The University at Buffalo has been wronged and such errors will not go without response. We will pursue this matter until athletics feels it has gotten sufficient retribution."