Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Freshman Found Dead

A student was found dead in his Wilkinson Quad dorm room by his floor mates Sunday night around 8:45 p.m., university officials said.

The cause of death of the 19-year-old male is yet to be confirmed by Amherst Police or a medical examiner who arrived on the scene at approximately 10:30 p.m.

University officials said they are in the process of contacting the student's family.

"I know that one of the people in the hallway passed away, we're not exactly sure how," said Meghan Matlock, who lives around the corner from the victim. "No one has told us anything. They're keeping it private."

"[My RA] just kept saying 'Get back in your room, Get back in your room,'" said Matlock.

Although the cause of death has not been confirmed, university officials have released limited information regarding the incident.

"A student passed away," was all Joseph Krakowiak, director of university residence halls and apartments, would confirm Sunday night.

"I know that they're having counselors come to the coffee house in a little while. I think they are almost here," said Matlock.

"It's a standard procedure for us [to set up a counseling center.] As soon as we learn of the death of a student, a group of people are notified," said Krakowiak.

By 10:30 p.m., Krakowiak said one psychologist had arrived on the scene and several more were on the way.

"[They will be here] as long as they're needed," said Krakowiak. "This isn't something that just goes away."

Rumors were quick to circulate among students, many of whom suspect the cause of death was suicide.

"A guy put a bag over his head," said a resident of the fourth floor of Wilkinson building five. "[My friend] said that some girl that found him was crying on her floor."

The sophomore, who asked that his name be withheld, said the death of a fellow student is going to have a widespread impact on the student body.

"It's just something that's going to affect a lot of people," he said. "It's just too bad because he had his whole life ahead of him."

He also alluded to how difficult the death of a student is for the university staff and resident advisors to deal with.

"No matter how much training they've had, death is hard to deal with," said the sophomore. "It's something you could never prepare for - someone dying."

"I think maybe they should focus on - maybe there weren't enough psychological services for students," the sophomore said. "They should make it a known fact that there is help on campus."

Additional reporting by Contributing Editor Kevin Purdy