Aesthetic: How to develop your own signature style

When people hear my high heels clink from a distance and spot a butterscotch blonde donned in a loose-fit romper, they know I’ve entered the room.

I’m slightly embarrassed to say I regularly agonize over my outfits in the morning. I often change my outfit up to five times until I find the right one. I struggle to shut my drawer filled with clothes with the tags still on them on a daily basis. I’ve FaceTimed friends in a panic for second opinions on my outfits before I go out.

I’ve missed classes because I couldn’t decide on what to wear.

I meticulously flat iron my hair with a 1 3/4 inch Conair Infiniti Pro and a ½ inch mini Bellami straightener strictly for my baby hairs every single day. Right as my arms begin to cramp up and lose circulation, I reach for my 1 ½ BabyLiss Titanium Pro curling wand to give me California beach waves.

I have issues.

My sense of style is unique and admittedly probably too much for the average sane person. Every now and then, I wish I was a normal college girl who could reach for a t-shirt and a pair of leggings and call it a day, but here are some tips for the compulsive fashionista who craves to be snatched from head to toe in her own unique way.

Wear what makes you feel confident

Two years ago on my 20th birthday, I decided I would wear heels every day for the rest of my life. Wearing heels makes me feel confident so it’s worth the daily foot aches and occasional fumbling down staircases all in the name of fashion.

It’s important to wear things that make you feel confident. But confidence is relative to a person. Having your own signature style means you make the rules to your own fashion game. Whether you’re a street fashion Doc Martin girl or a bohemian flower crown girl next door, you should find staple items of clothing and always own it.

Know what colors compliment your skin tone

My warm skin tone makes bright summer colors like yellow and peachy pink colors pop. Every time I go shopping, I immediately gravitate toward these colors. Finding your undertone can cut your shopping time in half and can also help you get rid of old clothes in your closet that never see the light of day. The average woman wears only about 20 percent of her closet and finding your undertone helps you get rid of all the fluff that’s just catching dust.

The “vein test” is a tried and true method of discovering your undertone. If your veins are more on the blue side, you most likely have cool undertones. If you have a cool undertone, colors like red and blue are your best friends. If your veins are more on the green side, you most likely have a warm undertone. If your veins are don’t fall under either of these you get to reap the rewards of cool and warm undertones.

Look for fashion inspiration

I spent winter break of my sophomore year binge-watching “Gossip Girl” on Netflix and it immediately galvanized my sense of style. When I returned to school that winter, I became obsessed with wool-blend coats and over-the-knee boots. I quickly started sporting timeless classy pieces like blazers and pencil skirts.

Style inspiration is all around you whether it's on your favorite T.V. show, Instagram or Pinterest. Developing your signature look means finding inspiration and putting your own distinctive twists on them.

Express yourself and have fun

Even though I often tend to overthink my hair, makeup and fashion choices, style should always be fun. Your individual style is a form of artistic self-expression. The way you express yourself doesn’t need anyone’s approval but your own. In Lady Gaga’s song “Fashion,” she commands her listeners to “step into the room like it’s your catwalk” and whether you’re going to The Steer, Wegmans or your 8 a.m., class you can always treat the room like it’s your runway.

Ashley Inkumsah is the co-senior news editor and can be reached at ashley.inkumsah@ubspectrum.com