UB's Student Association named SUNY SA of the year

UB’s Student Association earned the title of 2018-19 State University of New York SA of the Year this past weekend.

SUNY Trustee Mike Braun announced SA’s award at the annual Spring SUNY SA Conference in Saratoga Springs, NY, which many SA members attended. 

SA President Gunnar Haberl called the award “an honor and a privilege” and said he was “at a loss for words” following Braun’s announcement.

Haberl recognized the work of “amazing student leaders” across SUNY’s 64 campuses who “make a difference in the lives of others.” 

“However, this recognition was a true testament to the incredible Student Association team at UB who work day in and day out to advocate, inspire and provoke change for the betterment of the entire UB community,” Haberl wrote in an email.

Haberl acknowledged the ups and downs of the year and said he is “grateful” for it all. 

“Anyssa [Evelyn], Tanahiry [Escamilla] and I are able to reflect on this time in office and be proud of everything that our team has been able to accomplish. Yet, we also recognize that there is still work that needs to be done,” Haberl wrote. “As I look back on this incredible journey, I could not be more grateful for each individual that has challenged us, motivated us and made this journey possible.” 

Jacklyn Walters is a co-senior news editor and can be reached at Jacklyn.Walters@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @JacklynUBSpec.

JACKLYN WALTERS
Headshot 1.JPG

Jacklyn Walters is a senior communication major and The Spectrum's managing editor. She enjoys bringing up politics at the dinner table and seeing dogs on campus.