News Briefs

What to know in local, national and global news

Campus

Main Street Market now open for lunch

Another dining option has opened on South Campus. The Main Street Market in Goodyear Hall will now be open for lunch from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday for students, faculty and staff to eat at.

Diners can access Main Street Market using their UB cards to swipe into the building, according to UB Now. Faculty and staff cards are currently activated. The dining hall accepts FlexiBULL bucks, cash and credit.

UB receives $500k toward entrepreneurial program

The National Science Foundation awarded UB a five-year, $500,000 grant for a program to help researchers turn ideas into entrepreneurial ventures. The grant will fund a site for the Innovation Corp, a program to help turn scientific and technological ideas into projects, according to UB Now.

The program will train teams made up of a faculty member, student and industry advisor, who will look to turn their ideas into something marketable.

Local

City worker fired for alleged animal abuse

A city worker was fired after he was arrested for allegedly committing aggravated cruelty to animals. The man allegedly exited a city-owned vehicle, said something to a woman, then stabbed her dog, according to WGRZ. The two individuals fled in the city vehicle, but were stopped by police shortly after on South Park Avenue.

The dog was taken to the vet and has undergone surgery. The dog’s current condition is not currently known.

Teenager shot on the East Side

A 17-year-old was shot on the East Side Wednesday afternoon at 4:15 p.m. He was taken to Erie County Medical Center with non-life-threatening injuries, according to WGRZ.

National

Trump proposes tax overhaul

President Donald Trump announced his tax plan on Wednesday, which includes significant tax cuts for businesses and the wealthy as its main feature. It proposes cutting corporate tax from 35 to 20 percent. His plan proposes shrinking the tax brackets from seven to three. It also provides a doubled tax deduction for all brackets, a feature he is touting as a win for the middle class. The tax plan includes an increased tax rate for “pass-through” businesses according to the New York Times.

University of Louisville coach placed on leave after NCAA scandal

Hall-of-fame basketball coach Rick Pitino is on leave after an FBI indictment of corruption charges on Tuesday involving Adidas executive and NCAA coaches illegally bribing players to attend their colleges.

One charge involved a conspiracy to funnel $100,000 to a family for their son to play basketball at a college in Kentucky, presumably Louisville, according to The New York Times.

Coaches from other NCAA schools including University of Auburn, University of Southern California and Arizona, among others, were indicted on Tuesday. The University of Louisville confirmed the school is under investigation.

Global

Civilians killed by U.S. airstrike in Kabul

A U.S. air strike supporting Afghan troops killed several civilians in Kabul on Wednesday. Reports are not sure how many civilians were injured or killed, according to the BBC.

“Tragically, one of the missiles malfunctioned, causing several casualties,” the NATO mission in Afghanistan, said in a statement. “Resolute Support deeply regrets the harm to non-combatants. An investigation into the attack and the malfunctioning ammunition has begun.”

The U.S. recently agreed to send 3,000 troops to Afghanistan to support the Afghan troops in their fight against extremist Taliban factions.

China’s giant panda’s habitat is shrinking

Last year, the giant panda was downgraded from endangered to vulnerable on the IUNC list of threatened species. Increased sightings seemed like good news for the panda, but reports of deforestation may threaten the animal’s recovery.

The forests are in a worse state than when the panda originally was placed on the Red List, in 1988. Natural disasters like earthquakes, but also man-made impacts like tourism, logging and agriculture, all threaten the forests home to pandas, according to the BBC.

Sarah Crowley is the senior news editor and can be reached at sarah.crowley@ubspectrum.com