Grapevine: Your weekly collection of Buffalo’s sonic selections

<p></p>

V-Day is upon us. Whether you’re excited for the holiday, dreading it, or wholly disinterested will depend on your current relationship status and level of ironic detachment.

This week brings us not only the holiday some of us think we are too cool to observe – seriously you think you’re the first person to think say it’s just “too commercial?” Just buy her some dang flowers – but also a new lineup of events and concerts to enjoy.

Tuesday, Feb. 14

Tammy Pescatelli – Helium Comedy Club

Still looking for a fun Valentine’s Day date idea? Do you love to hear your special someone laugh, but aren’t funny enough to do it yourself? Head to the Helium Comedy Club in downtown Buffalo for a few chuckles, courtesy of Tammy Pescatelli.

Pescatelli made it big after landing herself in a top five spot on NBC’s television program “Last Comic Standing.” She has since gone on to appear on radio programs like Opie and Anthony and Jenny McCarthy’s Dirty, Sexy, Funny and TV shows like “The View.”

Her most recent standup special “Finding the Funny” was released in an exclusive deal with Netflix and is available to stream so check it out and see if you enjoy her stuff.

General admission is $20 and the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 15

Thin Man Cinema Aliens Night – Thin Man Brewery

What better way to cleanse the palette of Valentine’s schmaltz than with these chest-bursting sci-fi classics. Sigourney Weaver stars in the series as Ellen Ripley: crew member of the spacecraft Nostromo turned resident alien butt-kicker.

Each installment of the trilogy is directed by one of the finest filmmakers of their respective times and add further dimensions to the franchise. Ridley Scott introduces horror to the sci-fi genre in the original “Alien.”

James Cameron ups the ante and the action in “Aliens” removing much of the horror but making up for it in pure action. “Alien 3” is arguably the weakest of the trilogy, but is notable for being the directorial debut of David Fincher who bring the series back to its sci-fi horror roots and adding a layer of social allegory about the AIDS scare.

Admission to the 6 p.m. screening is free as are the popcorn and peanuts that are served to all.

Thursday, Feb. 16

Lawrence – The Waiting Room

Siblings Clyde and Gracie Lawrence have been making music together since they were children. Just dropping their debut LP Breakfast, the soul-pop duo is embarking on their first headlining national tour and making a stop at the Waiting Room.

The two blend their idyllic interpretation of pop music with old school soul, drawing on influences from The Beatles, to Beyonce, to Ben Folds.

While Clyde and Gracie are young – 22 and 18 respectively – they have been in the entertainment business longer than some twice their age. Clyde was the youngest ever member inducted into the Songwriters Guild of America for his work on “Miss Congeniality” at the age of six.

Tickets start at $13 and doors open at 7 p.m. while the show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 18

Hip Hop Karaoke – The Waiting Room

Who wants to see a bunch of white people try to rap their favorite hip hop jams? You do. Of course you do.

Hosted by the GLDN GIRLS, this 21+ event starts at 10 p.m. with free admission until 11 p.m. Make sure to get there early to sign up for your song. You don’t want to be the eighth “Bad and Boujee” of the night.

Saturday, Feb. 18

Whiskey Myers – Town Ballroom

When Cody Cannon and Cody Tate formed Whiskey Myers in 2008, the band was relegated to playing on the back of flatbed trailers in East Texas. By 2011, the band had dropped their second album Firewater which debuted on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart.

Inspired by Country artists like Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings and Southern Rock groups like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Whiskey Myers’ unique sound has brought them across the Mississippi and over the Mason Dixon to the Town Ballroom.

Tickets start at $12 and the doors for the event open at 7:30 p.m.

David Tunis-Garcia is the arts editor and can be reached at david.garcia@ubspectrum.com