UB College Democrats host final debate watch party

Students gather in Norton Hall to watch the final presidential debate

<p>Students gathered in Norton Hall Wednesday night to watch the final presidential debate on the big screen.</p>

Students gathered in Norton Hall Wednesday night to watch the final presidential debate on the big screen.

Zayne Sember said he’s frightened after watching the final debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

Sember, a freshman physics and computer science major, watched all of the debates and is a member of UB College Democrats.

“I’m writing in Bernie Sanders [on election day] and voting Democrat for everything else,” Sember said.

UB College Democrats held a debate watch party of the final debate between Clinton and Trump Wednesday night in Norton 112. The number of students fluctuated between 15 and 19 people throughout the watch party. Both Republicans and Democrats gathered together to watch the debate, keeping light-hearted discussions going throughout the party. But about halfway through the debate, students started to lose interest and many were on their phones.

Haley Blonsky, a freshman political science major, said it is good to have discussions with people that both agree and disagree with your political views.

Blonsky follows politics very closely and wants to be involved in big decisions affecting the country.

She is still undecided on who she will vote for, so she hopes the debates will help make up her mind.

Nicole Caine, a senior global gender studies major and president of UB College Democrats, said it is “nice to come together as one community” during the debate and see other people’s views and perspectives.

Caine watches the debates to become more politically informed and will be voting for Clinton on Nov. 8.

Students kept a light discussion between each section of the debate and both sides laughed at Trump’s immigration comments.

Reed Tighe, a senior political science major and president of the UB College Republicans, said Wednesday night was one of the better debates and Clinton seems “rattled” by Trump.

“It’s important to show support and show that we care about the future of our country as college students,” Tighe said.

Tighe will be voting for Trump.

Tighe said some of the questions being asked are relevant and the candidates need to talk about big issues.

“These issues are prevalent, but not the most prevalent,” Blonsky said.

Caine said the candidates began strong, but need to focus on big issues, not scandals.

Students began to get more interested and heated when the moderator brought up Trump’s “locker room talk” incident.

“America is in a lot of trouble,” Blonsky said.

Victoria Hartwell is a news staff writer and can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com