The edge: UB Football vs. Nevada

UB Football hoping to turn season around against Nevada Saturday

<p>UB's defensive line is one of its most experienced units this season. UB will take on Nevada this Saturday in hopes of turning the season around.</p>

UB's defensive line is one of its most experienced units this season. UB will take on Nevada this Saturday in hopes of turning the season around.

The UB football team (0-1) is hoping to turn its season around this Saturday when it travels Westward to take on the University of Nevada (1-1). Following the loss to Division I-AA Albany two weeks ago, Buffalo had a bye last week to figure things out. Saturday’s game matches the furthest Buffalo’s football team has ever traveled for a game.

Here is a preview of Saturday’s matchup.

Quarterbacks: Push

Prepare to see a lot of quarterbacks take the field on Saturday. Nevada head coach Brian Polian announced that he will use three different quarterbacks in Saturday’s game. Buffalo head football coach Lance Leipold announced at a Tuesday press conference that he will not name his starting quarterback for Saturday’s game until the day of the game, but he admitted that most likely he will once again use two quarterbacks, with both senior Grant Rohach and freshman Tyree Jackson seeing time in the game.

Both coaches have question marks at the quarterback position this year.

Running back: Nevada advantage

Running backs are a strength for both of these teams. For Buffalo, senior running back Jordan Johnson is one of the best players on their offense. However, Nevada junior running back James Butler Jr, who gashed UB for 177 on 16 carries in the matchup between the two teams last year, is an outstanding running back and just a step above Johnson.

Wide receiver: Nevada advantage

Nevada’s wide receiver core brings back talented seniors Hasaan Henderson and Jerico Richardson. Buffalo’s receivers still have much to prove, with only senior Marcus McGill having stepped up to this point.

Tight end: Buffalo advantage

Senior Mason Schreck was a standout for Buffalo against Albany, catching five passes for 58 yards. Nevada tight end Jarred Gipson caught just two passes for 15 yards last week.

Offensive line: Nevada advantage

Nevada’s offensive line paves the way for Butler, returning four out of five starters including standout junior left tackle Austin Corbett. Buffalo’s offensive line struggled against Albany and has question marks all over.

Defensive line: Buffalo advantage

Buffalo’s defensive line is one of the biggest strengths of the team – four players with starting experience hold it down. Nevada is inexperienced all over the front seven, returning just one starter.

Linebacker: Buffalo advantage

Another strength for Buffalo is its line backing core, which is filled with talent. Again, Nevada returns just one starter from its front seven.

Secondary: Push

Both Buffalo and Nevada are confident in their secondaries. Senior Boise Ross, who is perhaps the team’s best defender, headlines Buffalo’s secondary. Safety Ryan Williamson is another player Buffalo is high on. Nevada boasts talent in its secondary as well, with the talented safety duo of Asauni Rufus and Dameon Baber.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com