UB women’s basketball loses by 15 in ‘passive’ performance

<p>Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack argues with a referee during Buffalo's 70-55 loss to Eastern Michigan at Alumni Arena on Wednesday.&nbsp;</p>

Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack argues with a referee during Buffalo's 70-55 loss to Eastern Michigan at Alumni Arena on Wednesday. 

Felisha Legette-Jack said she would rather her entire Buffalo women’s basketball team foul out of the game than play as passively as it did Wednesday night.

The Bulls (12-12, 4-9 Mid-American Conference) continued their downward slide with a 70-55 loss to Eastern Michigan (16-8. 7-6 MAC) that caused Legette-Jack to apologize to Buffalo’s fans and athletic director.

“The better team won,” Legette-Jack, the Bulls’ head coach said, “They owned Buffalo.”

Buffalo’s defense, which has been the team's mainstay this season, has allowed at least 70 points in two of its last three games and have lost three of its last four games. Buffalo has lost eight of 10 since a 10-4 start.

Both teams got off to hot starts Wednesday night, but the Eagles were the only team to keep the pace. Eastern Michigan followed its 21-point first quarter with an 18-point second and a 19-point third. After the first quarter, Buffalo did not lead for the rest of the game.

The Bulls’ 55 points were the second-lowest margin for the team this month, mainly due to a rough shooting night. Buffalo shot less than 30 percent (20 of 68) from the field.

Another reason was Eastern Michigan’s double-team defense. Junior guard Joanna Smith and freshman forward Brittany Morrison combined for 35 points. No other player eclipsed more than four points. Legette-Jack attributed this to a lack of aggression in shot taking.

“The kid that is wide open is the one that cannot have fear,” Legette-Jack said. “We are going to continue to figure it out, were going to continue to change the offenses and teams.”

Smith controlled the court with 22 points and seven rebounds and Morrison was right behind her with 13 points and 11 rebounds in only 26 minutes off the bench.

Morrison proved to be a dangerous threat on the boards and helped spark a solid offensive rebounding night for Buffalo. The Bulls led the way with rebounds with 48 overall rebounds while Eastern Michigan had 37.

Buffalo brought down a staggering 30 offensive boards.

Freshman forward Mirte Scheper seemed to suffer a leg injury just minutes into the second half on. Legette-Jack did not know of her condition immediately after the game.

The Bulls are now just 5-5 at Alumni Arena this season.

Buffalo continues its homestretch on Saturday afternoon against Miami Ohio (9-15, 3-10 MAC) after the men’s game.

Tipoff is set for 2:30 p.m.

Edward Goldschmid is a sports staff writer. Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.