Some UB students and professors skipping new year's resolutions

<p>It can be difficult to make goals for yourself early in the year, especially when they require constant, daily practice. Many UB students this year have decided against making any resolutions.</p>

It can be difficult to make goals for yourself early in the year, especially when they require constant, daily practice. Many UB students this year have decided against making any resolutions.

Every year starts out the same – in a burst of confetti, the ball drops at midnight, strangers kiss and people look forward to getting their tax returns about a month after a night of taxing their liver. Although New Year’s Day seems to start relatively the same every year, each year it also brings change.

People around the world make resolutions that they hope to accomplish during the next 365 days.

Most of the time these goals have something to do with weight or their career – something along the lines of wanting to lose 10 pounds or get that promotion. Regardless of what the change might be, people strive to make themselves better every year.

But some UB students aren’t buying into the idea of making a New year’s resolution.

Rhia Basa, a sophomore business major, doesn’t have a resolution for 2016. In the past she’s resolved to lose weight and earn better grades, but she was never able to fully reach her goals. She blames not doing so on her high standards.

“I think I make [the resolution] too far fetched,” Basa said. “I set like really high goals for myself that aren’t always possible.”

Ying Shi, a freshman undecided major, said he doesn’t have a resolution this year. Shi blames his lack of having a resolution on a lack of motivation – both from other people and from himself.

“I think I would be able to achieve more if I had more support,” Shi said.

Shi isn’t the only one starting off 2016 without a specific goal in mind.

Mohamed Khan, a freshman mechanical engineering major, wants to get the full value out of every day rather than relying on the new year to make changes.

“I used to set resolutions,” Khan said. “Then I realized I don’t need a resolution to decide I’m going to start [changing my life]. I can do that any day. I can do that today.”

Professors are also choosing to not make new year resolutions with the goal of improving everyday.

“I try to live every day as well as I can and thus resolutions to change some aspect [of my life] are not necessary,” said Jim Atwood, a chemistry professor.

Elizabeth Bowen, a social work professor, didn’t make a resolution this year either, also citing she’d rather be motivated all year.

But for those striving to change their life through a new ear’s resolution, Bowen offers some advice.

“Behavior change is difficult,” Bowen said. “It is normal to slip up a few times. or many times, as you try to incorporate a new healthy behavior into your life, or avoid an unhealthy one. Try not to let this discourage you.”

John Jacobs is the assistant features editor and can be reached at john.jacobs@ubspetrum.com.