The top five stories around UB this week

A recap of the week in Spectrum headlines

<p>E. Bruce Pitman will resign as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the end of the academic year. </p>

E. Bruce Pitman will resign as dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the end of the academic year. 

There’s not always time to read the newspaper, so we rounded up the best stories of the week and put ’em all together – just to make your day a little easier.

Dean Pitman resigns

Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences E. Bruce Pitman announced his resignation on Friday. He will stay on for the rest of the academic year and will continue his role as a professor. 

He served as dean for five years and added 120 staff members, oversaw the creation of the Department of Materials Design and the College’s first strategic plan, CAS@20. 

Provost Charles Zukoski will begin the search for a new dean in early 2016.

Student has a seizure outside Knox

On Thursday afternoon, a student suffered a seizure outside of Knox Hall on North Campus. A University Police saw the student laying on the ground and called emergency services. Medical personnel brought the student to Buffalo General Hospital where further tests were conducted.

UB HFES bad design contest

In an effort to fix the design issues across campus and create accountability, UB Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) created a bad design contest. Students were encouraged to voice their concerns on Twitter with the hashtag #ubNEM. 

Many students’ issues included the doors in Bell Hall, the spaces between doors and the railing in certain buildings and the heights of bathroom sinks. The photos are intended to demonstrate that it’s not the fault of the students who have a hard time using the doors or other elements of the building but the design of the building itself. The contest ended Friday.

Skinnersville Cemetery

Skinnersville Cemetery on North Campus provides a resting place for donated bodies. Located near Lake LaSalle on Frontier Road, few students know why it’s there or whose remains are there. UB purchased the grave plots as part of the Anatomical Gift program, so once medical students use donated the bodies for research and learning, the bodies have a final place to rest. The cemetery is open so families of those who are buried there can visit the graves.

Muslim Fast-A-Thon

The Muslim Student Association (MSA) created a movement surrounding the Islamic practice of fasting. Through the Fast-A-Thon, students can sign up and pledge to fast alongside their Muslim peers. 

In addition to fasting, students are encouraged to donate the money they would have spent on lunch that day to charity. The idea is to create a support system for those who have to fast for religious purposes, and to educate students about the practice of fasting. MSA tabled in the Student Union last week and had students sign pledge forms to support the cause.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com