'White Only' and 'Black Only' signs found in UB's North Campus' Clemens Hall

UPD received calls about four separate signs in Clemens

<p>UPD received a call from a student stating there was a 'White Only' sign found outside a bathroom in Clemens Hall Wednesday. Ashley Powell, a graduate art student, admitted to hanging the signs for a class art project. </p>

UPD received a call from a student stating there was a 'White Only' sign found outside a bathroom in Clemens Hall Wednesday. Ashley Powell, a graduate art student, admitted to hanging the signs for a class art project. 

University Chief of Police Gerald Schoenle confirmed that four signs – with at least one stating “White Only” and at least one stating “Black Only” – were posted in Clemens Hall Wednesday.

UPD first received a call at 1 p.m. from a UB student who witnessed the signs above water fountains. Officers took the signs down and checked the building for more but were unable to locate additional ones.

An hour later UPD received another call from a student stating there were more signs found in Clemens Hall. This time, the signs were located outside bathrooms and were removed.

Schoenle said that UPD will be patrolling academic buildings on foot throughout the day. Schoelne said he believes this incident “appears to be an insensitive prank” and that investigators are looking into it.

Marlee Tuskes is the assistant news editor and can be reached at marlee.tuskes@ubspectrum.com