The Hurley system

Hurley looks to transform Buffalo's overall game

Men’s basketball head coach Bobby Hurley will focus on a fast-paced style of play this season and use his past experience as a player to better the Bulls. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Men’s basketball head coach Bobby Hurley always considered himself a “hard-nosed, gritty player” on the basketball court.

He would be the first person to dive for a loose ball and always looked to create a great shot rather than a good shot. He would bloody and bruise his 6-foot-2 frame by jumping into the front row of fans just to keep a ball in play. He would be the first person to express his emotion in front of sold out crowds of screaming basketball fans after a charismatic play.

Hurley, a legendary point guard for Duke University, was an essential part of Duke’s team from 1989-93 and multiple national championships. He is still the all-time NCAA leader in assists (1,076) and still holds many individual Duke records. He learned the game under coach Mike Krzyzewski and his father, Bob Hurley Sr. – two of the most revered minds in basketball.

Now in his second year as a head coach, Hurley plans to use his experiences to teach an unpolished Buffalo team how to succeed the way he did as a player. He wants a fast-paced offense and has assembled athletic playmakers to do so.

This is now Hurley’s team.

The Bulls’ roster features five freshmen and two transfers. Hurley recruited all but four players. Each player was carefully chosen to serve a different purpose for the team.

“Every team you look at, you build a style of play around your players,” Hurley said. “Last year, I knew we were very good defensively. I knew offensively, especially in the half court, we would throw the ball inside to Javon [McCrea].”

McCrea, a forward, is Buffalo’s all-time leading scorer and his graduation was a loss to the Bulls’ offense. But his absence allows Hurley to fully implement his fast-paced offense in which guards are the centerpieces.

Hurley said the team will often have two point guards on the floor at one time this season. Sophomore Shannon Evans and freshman Lamonte Bearden will handle the responsibility of running the offense the most.

“As long as we rebound, I have complete confidence in [Bearden] and Evans to create plays out on the court for us,” Hurley said.

Hurley and Evans share similar traits. They are both emotional players that feed off of energy and are both great ball handlers and shooters. Evans will be given the freedom to showcase his ‘Hollywood’ persona and talent to create winning plays.

He will be crafted to be ‘Hurley’s point guard.’

“Shannon’s decision-making is improving every day,” Hurley said. “He has a better understanding of how to play the game. Physically, his skills are getting better and better. His ability to get in the lane because of his quickness can hurt you in a number of ways on offense.”

The guards are not the only players that will factor into the fast-paced style of play. Senior forward Will Regan is big man but will be integral to Hurley’s offense. Unlike McCrea, Regan is also a threat from beyond the arc – he shot 36.8 percent from three-point range last season.

“[Regan] is going to benefit with our guards being playmakers,” Hurley said. “He will outhustle his opponent on the offensive glass and will beat his man down the court on defense. He has the capability of scoring in multiple different ways.”

Hurley lauded junior forward Raheem Johnson, saying he is one of the most mobile big men in the conference. He will also give significant minutes to junior forward Justin Moss.

“Offensively, [Moss] is stepping away from the basket and making shots, then would drive into the lane with his size and make an easy basket,” Hurley said. “There are more minutes available with Javon gone, so he’ll have his opportunity.”

According to Hurley, Moss had one of the best preseasons of anyone on the team. He and Regan may not bring the same production of McCrea to the team, but they will further Hurley’s fast-paced vision.

Hurley’s guards will mostly be relied on to set the offense and create plays, but some will also be asked to play a more physical role. Junior guard Jarryn Skeete is a versatile player in Hurley’s system because he can play both guard and forward.

“I’m asking a lot from Jarryn because he will be asked to guard bigger players in the post and do things that guards would not usually do,” Hurley said. “But he’s up to the challenge.”

As a player, Hurley wasn’t one of the most physically intimidating players on the court. It was his hustle and dedication that made him one of the all-time college greats. He expects the same of his players.

It’s easy to write off the Bulls this season. They are projected to finish fourth in the MAC East and the team replaced star seniors with inexperienced freshmen. Hurley is still figuring out his starting five.

But the team trusts Hurley and his system.

The Bulls may not be the biggest or best team in the conference, but Hurley hopes they’ll be the scrappiest. He wants them to dive for loose balls and excite the crowd, like he did 20 years ago.

“I always like my teams to embrace a blue-collar look,” Hurley said. “They have it. I want people to see us play and feel we outwork every team that plays against us. That means getting loose balls, taking charges and playing with great energy on the floor.”