Singing loud for all to hear

Because who doesn't love Christmas music

It’s getting close to the holiday season and there are changes of all sorts: the weather, the attire and most importantly, the music. Whether or not Christmas is celebrated, it’s hard not to sing along to the tunes we’ve grown accustomed to hearing this time of year. Compiled here is a list of some classics, some favorites and of course, some of the more recent productions.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” – Mariah Carey

Various artists, including My Chemical Romance, Fifth Harmony and Justin Bieber have all covered this timeless Christmas tune of affection and romance.

Mariah’s version has a gentle tone to it, and she puts her vocal range on display for all to hear. The music video is adorable and equally as enjoyable as the song itself, featuring Carey romping around with Santa and having snowball fights with children. With her voice and fun video, she embodies the carefree spirit of Christmas.

“Feliz Navidad” – Jose Feliciano

Americans are not the only ones to celebrate the season, as the Puerto-Rican artist wishes all a Merry Christmas in Spanish, his native language. The simplicity of the song is what leads it to be so enticing, and the repetitive chorus is catchy. You don’t have to know Spanish to hear the excitement in Feliciano’s voice as he strums his guitar and sings about the holiday season.

“Jingle Bell Rock” – Bobby Helms

This classic Christmas tune may be more famous for the version in “Mean Girls” than the original, but both capture the essence of Christmastime merriment. As Helms sings “What a bright time, it’s the right time, to rock the night away,” you can’t help but agree the holiday season is filled with joy. “Jingle Bell Rock” is the perfect tune to sing with family and friends, because c’mon, who doesn’t know all the words?

“Blue Christmas” – Elvis Presley

The King of Rock and Roll is no stranger to heartbreak, clearly seen in his songs “Heartbreak Hotel” and “That’s When Your Heartache Begins.” “Blue Christmas” is another dismal tune, as Presley croons his sadness, holding onto each word as if it was the woman who left him. The tone of the song may be sad, more so than most other holiday tunes, but it doesn’t take away from the beauty of Presley’s voice.

“Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” – Toby Keith

Keith is one of many artists to produce an entire Christmas album, including David Archuleta and Neil Diamond. Other holiday tunes like “Winter Wonderland,” and “Silver Bells” make an appearance on the 20-song, two-disc album set. The country artist puts his own spin on the holiday tunes using his acoustic guitar and southern swagger. He bids listeners a Merry Christmas with his final line “Hang a shining star upon the highest bough / And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.”

“Baby, It’s Cold Outside” – Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting

The duet’s performance is another song that’s been covered by various artists, including Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel and Leon Redbone. The song is an overlapping of the two voices, as their verses bleed into one another, creating a mix of the two artists and their styles. The track is perfect for cuddling up with a friend or significant other in the cold of winter.

“Christmas in Hollis” – Run D.M.C

The hip-hop group created a personalized Christmas song about their hometown of Hollis in Queens, New York. The group raps about what it was like to grow up celebrating the holidays there, with lines like, “It's Christmas time in Hollis, Queens / Mom’s cooking chicken and collard greens / Rice and stuffing, macaroni and cheese / And Santa puttin’ gifts under Christmas trees.” The group proves that it doesn’t matter what genre of music you prefer because everyone loves a good holiday song.

“Christmas Lights” – Coldplay

The alternative rock group released the single in 2010 and it peaked at number 25 on Billboard’s Hot 100. Even though the music video is weird at best, the quiet nature of the song is peaceful and reminds listeners that the holidays are a time of togetherness and joy. Their chorus rings “Those Christmas lights light up the street / Down where the sea and city meet / May all your troubles soon be gone / Oh Christmas lights, keep shining on.”

“Do You Wanna Build A Snowman?” – Anna Kendrick, Frozen

As soon as you hear the chords in the beginning of the song, you know exactly what’s coming: Frozen. The movie was last winter’s blockbuster and the highest grossing animated film ever, so I guess it was an ‘OK’ movie. The songs in the film follow the plot, but this light-hearted tune has captured the hearts of listeners of all ages. Whether you like the film or not, the song is pretty convincing that building a snowman is the perfect winter activity.

“Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow!” – Dean Martin

While most Buffalonians may want the opposite to happen, “Let it Snow!” captures the magic of the first snow of the season. Yes, six feet of snow can be a lot to handle, but the initial sprinkle can be magical. This song is another classic on the list and was originally performed by Martin in 1966. Here we are, nearly 50 years later, still singing the same merry tune.