UB Bulls fall 37-27 to Eastern Michigan

Eagles' Bell runs for 202 yards to lead Eastern Michigan to victory

The Bulls fell 37-27 at Rynearson Stadium on Saturday. Buffalo is now 0-3 on the road this season. Courtesy  of UB Athletics.

Junior running back Anthone Taylor, an early Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Year candidate, headed into the football team’s game at Eastern Michigan Saturday looking for his third consecutive 200-yard rushing performance.

The game featured a 200-yard rusher, but it was not Taylor. It wasn’t a running back at all.

Eagles freshman quarterback Reggie Bell, who entered the game at the end of the second quarter and replaced starter Rob Bolden, ran for 202 yards and three touchdowns. Bell boosted Eastern Michigan (2-4, 1-1 MAC) to defeat the Bulls (3-4, 1-2 MAC), 37-27, in Rynearson Stadium in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

The Bulls, who entered the game as 15-point favorites, led 10-0 in the second quarter, but a 27-3 run by the Eagles buried Buffalo.

“[The performance] wasn’t good enough. It was unacceptable,” said head coach Jeff Quinn.

Taylor finished with 128 yards on 24 carries after running for 109 yards in the first half. He did not play in the final 10 minutes of the game after suffering an apparent lower body injury. Quinn said after the game that Taylor is fine and is probable for the Bulls’ next game.

The Bulls outgained the Eagles in total first-half yards 297 to 143 and led 10-3 at halftime. But the quarterback change gave the Eagles’ offense momentum.

Bolden was replaced after he went 2 of 5 for three yards. Bell entered the game and introduced an offensive style that the Bulls may not have expected: the read-option.

“We tried making a lot of adjustments during the game,” said sophomore linebacker Jarrett Franklin. “That’s not Buffalo ball and that’s not what we stand for.”

On the first drive of the second half, Bell used the read-option to split the Buffalo defense up the middle for a 71-yard touchdown run. He was untouched on the play. The score cut the Bulls’ lead to 10-9. Bell essentially sealed the victory for Eastern Michigan when he ran for a 72-yard touchdown put the Eagles ahead 37-20.

Eastern Michigan had only scored 14 points in their previous four games combined. They scored 21 in the fourth quarter on Saturday.

The Eagles entered the game averaging only 229 yards per game and 10.8 points per game. On Saturday, they gained 484 yards and scored 37 points – including five touchdowns.

Buffalo junior quarterback Joe Licata threw for 383 yards and three touchdowns but also tossed two interceptions, including one at the Eagles’ 1-yard line with Buffalo trailing 16-13.

“We had a couple situations where we could have gained momentum in the second half and we didn’t do it,” Quinn said. “This was one of those moments.”

Senior kicker Patrick Clarke missed two field goals Saturday, including a 27-yard attempt that hit the upright on Buffalo’s first drive. He also had a 39-yard kick blocked that could have tied the game.

But instead of a tie, the Eagles scored two touchdowns in the next four minutes – courtesy of two more Bell touchdowns due to special teams blunders. First the blocked field goal, then junior running back Devin Campbell fumbled the ensuing kickoff and Eastern Michigan scored two plays later.

The Buffalo ‘D’ and special teams continue to plague the Bulls. Clarke missed a 33-yard kick last week that would have given Buffalo an eight point lead with three minutes remaining. The defense allowed more than 35 points for the fourth time this season.

The ‘D’ currently ranks 102nd in the FBS in points allowed per game, and has given up the 13th most rush yards in the nation.

Buffalo was penalized seven times for 60 yards. A third-quarter holding penalty cost the Bulls a touchdown and the opportunity to take an eight point lead, and an offside penalty negated an onside kick recover by the Bulls in the fourth quarter. Bell ran for his 72-yard touchdown two plays later – ending any slim hope Buffalo had at a comeback.

Eight different Buffalo receivers caught a pass Saturday. Junior wide receiver Ron Willoughby was the team’s leading receiver with 103 yards on four receptions. Junior tight end Matt Weiser, junior wide receiver Marcus McGill and senior wide receiver Devon Hughes all caught touchdown passes. Hughes was targeted a team-high seven times.

The Bulls dropped to 0-3 on the road this season and they are just 5-23 on the road under Quinn. Buffalo is 1-9 against MAC West opponents during Quinn’s tenure.

“We just have to continue to keep working on adjusting during the game,” Franklin said. “We definitely know this off week will not be an off week.”

The Bulls now enter their bye week. Buffalo will resume play Oct. 25 when it returns home to host Central Michigan (4-3, 2-1 MAC) at UB Stadium.