The Bo show

Former teammates, coaches react to Branden Oliver's 182-yard NFL performance Sunday

UB’s all-time rushing leader, Branden Oliver, had 182 total yards last Sunday in the San Diego Chargers’ 31-0 win over the New York Jets. Courtesy of the San Diego Chargers

Jeff Quinn remembers the exact moment in 2010 when he spoke with Branden Oliver about the future of the Bulls’ offense.

The two were new to Buffalo. Quinn, who spent the majority of his coaching career in the Midwest, was in his fist year as the Buffalo football team’s head coach. Oliver, a redshirt freshman from Florida, accepted his lone Division-I scholarship offer to play at UB.

But the two understood they needed one another to succeed in their new home. Quinn said team was going to “build the offensive scheme and structure” around Oliver.

The running back told Quinn “Count on me, coach.”

Oliver might have an NFL offense centered on him after this past Sunday.

Oliver, UB’s all-time leading rusher, ran for 114 yards and touchdown and caught four passes for 68 yards and another score in the Chargers’ 31-0 win over the New York Jets – the team that had the No. 1 ranked run defense coming into the game – this past Sunday.

“I was thanking God first and foremost, giving my utmost glory to my Lord and savior Jesus Christ,” Oliver said in his postgame press conference. “It was a lot of fun just to get things rolling. No. 1 running defense, you can’t ask for anything else and the score most of all.”

Oliver made explosive plays throughout the game, running for a 52-yard gain and catching pass for 50 yards to help San Diego advance to 4-1 on the season. Several of Oliver’s former Buffalo teammates watched Sunday’s game. They weren’t surprised by Oliver’s performance.

“He took what he did in college and he’s doing it at the next level,” said junior running back Anthone Taylor. “I always believed he needed an opportunity and he’s finally getting in it.”

Junior quarterback Joe Licata watched the entire game.

“I was jumping up and down every time he scored,” Licata said. “I was screaming. I don’t scream during games. I don’t get like that even during Bills games, but I was yelling for him.”

Senior center Trevor Sales was not surprised while watching Oliver’s performance because of the running back’s work ethic.

"It was funny because a lot of people on the [Jets] were like, ‘Who the hell is this guy?’ They were kind of shocked … I wasn’t shocked at all because that’s just what he does,” Sales said. “He’s a hard worker. From sunup to sundown that dude just gets after it all the time.”

Sales and Licata agreed Oliver was the hardest worker they have ever met, and Taylor said Oliver led by example on the field along with in the weight room and classroom.

Licata said Oliver’s success can help Buffalo with recruiting and has inspired the players on the team that they can succeed in the pros.

“It’s a big thing for the players here right now,” Licata said. “If you have the same work ethic that Bo had you could make it, too.”

Oliver’s performance in the NFL thus far has inspired fellow running back, Taylor.

“When he goes out there and has that type of success that makes our program look good too because he came from our program,” Taylor said. “He’s doing those things out there at the next level, he’s not only giving me motivation, but he’s showing those guys at the NFL level that [Buffalo] is doing something right.”

Taylor’s had his own success this season. He has run for 441 yards and six touchdowns in the past two games, and ranks fifth in the nation in rushing yards and his nine touchdown runs are tied for third in the country.

Oliver and Taylor combined for 333 yards rushing yards this weekend. Quinn said it was an “incredible weekend for the running backs in the UB nation” and that the two backs’ success shows Buffalo’s strength developing running backs.

“I feel good that we’ve put out there that we have the right schemes,” Quinn said. “We have the right system, we have the right people and we’re going to continue to grow from here and continue to be an outstanding running football team.”

Oliver has called or texted Taylor before every Bulls game this season. He tells Taylor “Don’t try and be like me. Try to be better than me.” Taylor made his first start when Oliver was injured and could not play against Stony Brook last season.

Oliver has live tweeted during every Bulls game this season from wherever the Chargers were playing. He tweets at individual offensive players, like Taylor and Licata, after a big play and sends encouragement for the defense as well.

After last week’s 36-35 loss to Bowling Green Oliver tweeted, “Keep grinding my bros this was a tough one man, back to the drawing board one day at a time, To His Glory hard work pays off @UBFootball.”

“He always says, ‘Stay focused’ and ‘You never know what can happen,’” Taylor said. “He always says, ‘Stay focused’ and ‘Stay humble because you never know what things God can do for you.’”

Oliver used his own advice on Sunday.

He started the season as the Chargers’ No. 4 running back, but after injuries to Ryan Matthews, Danny Woodhead and Donald Brown, Oliver became San Diego’s go-to back.

Oliver went undrafted in May and signed with the Colts on May 10 as a member of their practice squad. Ten days later, he signed a two-year contract with the Chargers. Oliver officially made the Chargers 53-man roster Aug. 30.

He said “being an undrafted free agent just makes it that much sweeter,” after his performance Sunday.

Khalil Mack, Oliver’s former Buffalo teammate, was drafted fifth overall by the Oakland Raiders in the same NFL draft. The two former teammates will face each other next Sunday when the Chargers travel to Oakland.

Oliver gives advice on playing in the NFL to his current teammates. He tells Taylor that NFL teams disguise their blitzes better than college teams.

“He said that’s the one thing that’s gotten harder, but he’s doing a pretty good job,” Taylor said with a smile.

Sales spoke with Oliver Monday morning. He does not expect Sunday’s game to be Oliver’s last great performance in the NFL.

“He said, ‘Thanks man for the support and there will be more good things to come,’” Sales said.