The Spectrum's Top 5: What you missed this week

From kayaks to tailgates, UB is all the buzz in this weeks' top stories

UB Athletics estimated about 5,000 students attended last Friday’s
pre-football game tailgate, prompting more security and staff
for future tailgates. Courtesy of Bel Pavlik
UB Athletics estimated about 5,000 students attended last Friday’s pre-football game tailgate, prompting more security and staff for future tailgates. Courtesy of Bel Pavlik

This past week, University at Buffalo students have kept busy tailgating before football games, kayaking on Lake LaSalle and juggling work and schoolwork. UB has also looked to overhaul their general education program and the Bulls’ dominated Norfolk State Saturday, winning 36-7. Here’s what you missed:

1. The Bulls’ football game against Baylor Sept. 12 has set off concerns about student-led tailgating before football games. More than 5,000 students celebrated before the game and many were not aware of tailgating and drinking rules, which were broken. Now more security and staff are expected to be present at future tailgates to accommodate the amount of students. The goal is for the students to celebrate at tailgates in a more safe and legal way.

2. Grades are in and the Bulls have made the honor roll for their 36-7 win over Norfolk State University on Saturday. The Spectrum’s sports desk graded each of the team’s crucial members who all worked together to pull through for a win. Run defense, the wide receivers and tight end and the coaches all got top scores with a grade of an A. The Bulls’ win over Norfolk State was a well-deserved victory achieved by the teams’ overall focus and energy in the game.

3. Last week, UB held a forum to discuss its general education requirements and if they will be updated to be more student friendly. Over the years, the general education requirements have become outdated and are no longer as helpful to students who wish to take away more than a grade from a course. Many feel the current general education requirements lack the value of a liberal arts education and they need to be updated so they are more fitting. Soon the Student Association will meet with Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education Andrew Stott to give their opinion on the overhaul.

4.Appproximently 63 percent of students at UB are working students, according to a survey conducted by The Spectrum. Many of these students are working an average of 11 to 15 hours per week and are having trouble balancing their schoolwork with their paid jobs. Some students have found jobs on campus that have made it easier to work while being a student. Although some students have no choice but to quit their jobs to focus on their studies, some have found a happy medium and are making their schedules work.

5. Lake LaSalle on UB’s North Campus is now open for students to go kayaking and canoeing and have some fun outside. Before the grand opening on Sept. 15, the lake was just a pretty view and home to geese, but now it’s open for students to do something different on their study breaks. This opening is the first step to a plan for the future of outdoor recreation at UB and will hopefully launch new excitement toward outdoor activities for students.