Saved by the bull: the next generation

Bulls have their sights set on success despite the loss of their star-studded seniors

Sophomore linebacker Jarrett Franklin causes a safety in the Bulls’ 30-3 win over on Ohio on Nov. 5, 2013. Franklin will be taking over for Khalil Mack at the outside linebacker position. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum

Something changed for the UB football team last year – after five-straight losing seasons, the Bulls made a comeback.

A core of young talent and a multitude of seniors contributed to an 8-5 record, including a seven-game winning streak. The season culminated with an appearance on national television, playing against San Diego State in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl on Dec. 21.

Many of those key players – including offensive weapons Branden Oliver and Alex Neutz, as well as the No. 5 pick in May’s NFL draft Khalil Mack – graduated. Now it’s up a new core of players to sustain last season’s success.

“It’s a no-name team,” said head coach Jeff Quinn. “We don’t have the Khalil’s or the Bo’s, but we are not looking back. We are only looking forward and I see that progress everyday.”

The offseason has been full of questions, but none bigger than who would fill the void of Mack.

Enter sophomore Jarrett Franklin.

Franklin, listed at six foot, 220 pounds, transitioned from defensive end to linebacker last season. He is physically smaller than Mack, but plays with the same aggressive mentality and overwhelming football knowledge that made Mack a household name.

“A lot of people are doubting us this year,” Franklin said. “Yeah, we lost a lot of talent, but that’s what is going to drive us the most. We want to prove people wrong and we are going to be those young guys that step up.”

Senior linebackers Lee Skinner and Jake Stockman as well as senior defensive tackle Kristjan Sokoli will anchor the defense. Skinner was second on the team with 79 tackles and Stockman started all 13 games and finished with 43 tackles last season.

Sokoli, who weighs 300 pounds, returns at defensive line and recorded 29 tackles and 2.5 sacks last season. He ran a 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds. Quinn said he will be a vital part of the team’s rush defense.

The team’s defensive philosophy is to play as one unit. There is no standout player this year for opposing offenses to target, so the Bulls plan to use that to their advantage.

"When people ask me if I’m going to replace Khalil, I say ‘I’m not, our defense is,’” Franklin said. “Everyone is going to pursue the ball, everyone is going to make an interception and everyone is going to celebrate the big play.”

Junior quarterback Joe Licata will be under center for the second straight year. Licata underwent surgery on Jan. 7 to repair a torn hip labrum and a bone impingement, but feels confident going into this season.

The job of replacing Oliver, Buffalo’s all-time leading rusher, won’t likely fall on one player, but three. Junior running back Anthone Taylor is the expected starter with sophomore Jordan Johnson and junior Devin Campbell rounding out the trio.

“[Oliver] was one of the best backs to ever come out of UB,” Johnson said. “I believe the core we have put together will all bring something to the table that can make up for what he did.”

The right side of the offensive line consists of juniors Robert Blodgett and John Kling, who combined to start 13 games last season. The blind side returns three senior starters in Jake Silas, Andre Davis and Trevor Sales.

Sophomore Boise Ross and senior Devon Hughes are two of the receivers to replace the duo of graduated seniors Alex Neutz and Fred Lee.

“We have some big shoes to fill and I feel honored to fill that role,” Hughes said. “I want to surpass the level of [Neutz and Lee]. I want my everyday effort to be the first thing people notice.”

Quinn has been impressed with his players’ commitment throughout the summer and said “105 checked into fall camp this summer, and we have 105 still on our roster.”

“No one ran for the midnight train,” Quinn said. “It’s a mutual understanding between the coaches and players. It’s an everyday commitment that every player will compete at his highest level.”

The players are often on campus together or playing videogames in the dorm rooms when they aren’t on the field.

“We were close last year, but you can see the difference in the way the seniors act towards the younger players on the team,” Ross said. “We’re all in together.”