A changing of the guards

Burke focuses on player trust in hopes to reach the postseason

Senior defender Sophie Therien and the rest of the women’s soccer team have started the season 2-0 under first-year head coach Shawn Burke. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum  

Transitioning to a new head coach is often a tough adjustment for a team. The women’s soccer team is making that change this season, however, they’ll be aided by the fact their head coach was on the Bulls’ staff last season.

First-year head coach Shawn Burke, who worked five seasons as an assistant under previous head coach Michael Thomas, is hoping the player’s trust he earned over this time will help the team in his first year as the head coach.

“As long as we trust and believe in what we’re doing, we are going to be successful this year,” Burke said. “We have to get into the mentality of what we do and what we do well.”

Burke hopes to guide the Bulls to their first Mid-American Conference Tournament appearance since 2011. The transition to Burke has been a success so far, as the Bulls (2-0) have won their first two games while not surrendering a goal.

One of the team’s biggest question marks heading into the season was replacing graduated goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon. Wheldon is toward the top of nearly every goaltending record at UB with 20 shutouts, 369 saves and a .815 save percentage.

Now, this position may actually be one of the Bulls’ strengths. Freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall has been impressive through the first two games, recording 11 saves and two shutouts. Dougall has not allowed a goal in four games this season, including exhibitions.

“She doesn’t show the typical nerves for such a young player,” Burke said. “I see her doing big things this year.”

Dougall was recognized for her efforts, as she won MAC Defensive Player of the Week.

The Bulls are lucky to have an experienced defense to help Dougall. Senior defender Sophie Therien and junior defender Jackie Hall, who started 18 and 16 games last season, respectively, anchor the defense.

"The duo gives us the ability to play out the back with their decision making and their skill level,” Burke said. “[I believe] this is the best center back pairing we’ve ever had.”

The team was forced to move around some of its pieces, as sophomore attackers Dana Lytle and Angel Hart relocated to outside back to strengthen the front line.

Burke insists on being “the aggressive team” saying the Bulls need to “set the tone” early in every match.

And judging by their 36-shot performance in a 2-0 victory over Canisius (0-2), the Bulls are acting on his words.

The team returns nearly all of its goal scorers from the previous season, including senior midfielder Megan Giesen, who scored two goals and served as the team captain. Graduated midfielder Karen McMahon is the only Bull who scored a point who is no longer on the team.

Despite the changes to the team, Burke has been the factor that’s made the transition easier for the players.

“It was very fortunate that our assistant coach [Burke] stepped up,” Hall said. “It’s a lot easier to trust the system.”

Already with a vast awareness of each player’s strengths and weaknesses, Burke could make radical changes to the defensive scheme. The team unveiled its new strategy this past week as they debuted on the newly renovated turf at UB Stadium, defeating St. Bonaventure (1-1) and Canisius College (0-2).

The Bulls outshot their oppositions 54-20 over the two games. Burke was pleased with his team’s performance and the depth of the roster.

“Everyone who stepped onto the field contributed,” Burke said. “With injuries and depleted rosters, we’re going to have to count on everybody. It is a testament to the players.”

The Bulls looks to continue their impressive start Friday Aug. 29 against Duquesne (1-1) at Ambrose Urbanic Field in Pennsylvania. The game is scheduled for 7 p.m.