The gamer's guide to the summer

Six games coming out this summer that you'll want for your console

Watch Dogs courtest of Ubisoft
Watch Dogs courtest of Ubisoft

Between Infamous: Second Son (PlayStation 4 exclusive) and Titanfall (Xbox One exclusive) this spring saw the release of two huge titles that showcased the power of their respective next generation consoles. Although these were two of the biggest releases this year, they certainly aren’t last with many more big titles like Destiny set to release later this year.

The release of Watch Dogs and other big games this summer may not be able to match the power of last year’s The Last of Us, which quickly became acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all time and certainly one of the year’s best titles, but there are still plenty of reasons to cool off indoors and embrace your inner gamer.

Here are a few:

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Release date: May 20 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC

With the help of General Wilhelm “Deathshead” Strasse’s advanced weaponry, war machines and Super Soldiers, the Nazi’s have won World War II and conquered most of the world.

As American war hero Captain BJ Blazkowicz, your objective is clear: stop Deathshead and rewrite history.

Although the objective is simple, the mission is not. Fighting through hordes of robot and Super Soldier Nazis armed with advanced weaponry is no small feat, but it makes for a fantastic game. The New Order promises to be the best Wolfenstein game to date and one of the best first-person shooters in recent memory.

Watch Dogs

Release date: May 27 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC; Wii U to be announced in 2014

After multiple delays, players around the world will finally be able play Ubisoft’s highly anticipated title, Watch Dogs, this summer.

Set in Chicago, players control Aiden Pearce, a vigilante and hacker who manipulates the city’s Central Operating System (ctOS) to find information, targets or escape from authorities – all from a smartphone.

Whether it’s using ctOS to control traffic barriers to destroy chasing police cars, security cameras to find a target or another character’s cellphone to listen in on their conversation, Watch Dogs blends a meditation of an ever increasingly connected society with a Grand Theft Auto styled open world game play. The result of which could be something truly spectacular and will almost certainly be one this year’s most talked about titles.

Murdered: Soul Suspect

Release date: June 3 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC

How would you solve your own murder as a ghost? Is a question Murdered: Soul Suspect asks of every player as they work to use their newfound supernatural and ghostly powers to solve the murder of protagonist Ronan O’Connor.

A detective in Salem, Massachusetts with a questionable past, Ronan is brutally murdered when he attempts to stop a burglary. Aside from working to uncover the truth about the character’s violent demise, players also have to defeat demonic foes that want to vanquish Ronan’s soul and stop his pursuit of justice and his only hope of escaping limbo.

Sniper Elite III

Release date: July 1 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PC

For almost a decade, Sniper Elite has been immersing players in covert World War II missions. Sniper Elite III looks to continue the series’ traditional sniper based sandbox gameplay, while enhancing it through more detailed and expansive environments that provide players with multiple ways to approach each mission. Sniper Elite III takes the series to an all time gory high.

The newest iteration to the series improves upon Sniper Elite V2’s “Kill Cam.” With each penetrating sniper shot, the camera zooms in to show players the carnage on anatomical level as bullets shred through enemies’ skin, blood vessels, tissue, organs, muscles and bones.

Equipped with iconic 1942 weaponry that can be customized to suit each mission, players are tasked with sabotaging an advanced Nazi weapon project in Northern Africa that could end the Allied offensive in its tracks.

Sacred 3

Release date: Aug. 5 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC

Originally announced four years ago, the sequel to Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (2008 for PC, 2009 for Xbox 360 and PS3) has changed hands from original developer Ascaron Entertainment, but looks to stay true to the series’ decade old action RPG roots.

Continuous four-player co-op, including three A.I. controlled allies for offline play, isn’t all that players have to look forward to as they try to save the land of Ancaria from the Ashen Empire and the treacherous Lord Zane.

Players can choose from five heroes; each with their own unique skill set as they set out to stop Lord Zane and the reign of the Ashen Empire from capturing the mythical Heart of Ancaria and conquering the world.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Release date: Aug. 12 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC

If four-player co-op isn’t for you, then maybe Risen 3: Titan Lords is. Titan Lords returns to the medieval setting of the first game and maintains the series’ classic RPG heavy elements in a world that has been built for complete visual and thematic cohesion.

Built for deep and rich exploration the setting of Risen 3 accompanies it’s decision based story, which follows a young warrior, whose soul has been claimed by a darkness that has spread across the lands after the gods abandoned it; leaving the Titan’s to war amongst themselves in their stead.