Wub a Dub Dub

Artist:Zomboy

Album:The Dead Symphonic EP

Release Date:September 3

Label:Never Say Die Records

Grade:B+

Frantic melodic hooks and absolutely guttural bass drops litter the six songs that make up The Dead Symphonic EP, the sophomore release from dubstep artist Zomboy.

While there is an easily recognizable sound present in his tracks, Zomboy, also known as Joshua Mellody, does what he can to submerge the maniacal mid-range squeals that create his signature sound. The distinctstylistic variation of each song adds fresh flavor as this dubstep mogul pulls inspiration from several genres.

"Nuclear (Hands Up)" starts the album off with an obvious reggae influence that immediately showcases the creativity of this EP. "Hoedown" intercuts a rhythmically heavy track with a slow, Western style guitar twang, and "Vancouver Beatdown" is perhaps the most danceable track in the bunch, with its groove-laced, fast-paced beat and disco club guitar samples.

"City 2 City" offers a calming reprieve from the insanity that precedes it due to the interesting addition of a vocal track. Then, with barring contrast, the album's energy returns with the dark, energetic "Deadweight."

As the album closes out with "Gorilla March," a fiercely paced adrenaline rush that settles into a decidedly epic final swell, it becomes apparent The Dead Symphonic EP is a collection of Mellody's best and most original work so far. Overall, the album proves to be fantastic in its own right.

Sampling has always been a part of the electronic music genre, and it's not looking to go away any time soon. Mellody takes musical queues from video games, Internet memes and other electronic artists/producers - often cutting his own remixes of other popular songs.

While some may feel irked over the lack of complete originality, the production and arraignments on The Dead Symphonic EP feel original and deserve praise.

If you call yourself a fan of the unique style of synthetic musical insanity now commonly known as dubstep, this is one album not to miss.

The Dead Symphonic EPis now available at beatport.com.