Fall television preview

Many college students are eager to return to school after a long summer vacation without their friends, but the end of a relaxing summer can dishearten even the most enthused. Fortunately, this fall's television lineup will provide much more appealing entertainment than watching our tans fade.

Series Premieres

The Mindy Project

Fox, Tuesday Sept. 25, 8 p.m.

Fans of "The Office" will be thrilled to see Mindy Kaling starring in her own show after her departure from the NBC classic. "The Mindy Project" focuses on a young OB/GYN named Mindy Lahiri (Kaling) and the eccentric co-workers that keep her life interesting.

Elementary

CBS, Thursday Sept. 27, 10 p.m.

Set in present-day New York City, "Elementary" is a modern spin on the classic stories of Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson. This duo, however, has a very different dynamic from the original pair. While Holmes (Jonny Lee Miller, Dark Shadows) is still an Englishman, Dr. Watson (Lucy Liu, The Man with the Iron Fists) is an Asian-American woman.

Animal Practice

NBC, Wednesday Sept. 26, 8 p.m.

Scrubs meets Dr. Dolittle in this new show revolving around a veterinary practice and the wacky goings-on within it. Dr. George Coleman (Justin Kirk, Weeds) is the main character whose issues with his patients' owners promise moderately humorous plotlines. However, it is safe to say the real show stealer will be his monkey sidekick and colleague, Dr. Rizzo (Crystal the Monkey, Community).

Guys with Kids

NBC, Wednesday Sept. 26, 8:30 p.m.

There have been many shows and movies that attempt to capitalize on the idea that grown men are childish and struggle with responsibility, and Guys with Kids is one of them. Created by Jimmy Fallon, the show follows three 30-something men dealing with the struggles of single parenthood. Hopefully, Fallon has found a way to freshen up the slightly tired premise.

Returning Premieres

American Horror Story: Asylum

FX, Wednesday Oct. 17

Viewers who watched the first season of American Horror Story enjoyed creepy storylines and intriguing character arcs, and this season appears to be just as promising as the first. Creator Ryan Murphy (Glee, Nip/Tuck) has revealed this season won't revolve around the Harmon family or the "Murder House." Instead, the show will take place in an insane asylum, a classic setting for any horror story.

Bob's Burgers

Fox, Thursday Sept. 30, 8 p.m.

Returning for its third season, the Emmy-nominated Bob's Burgers revolves around the Belcher family and their livelihood: running a struggling burger joint. Each member of the Belcher family has his or her own hilarious characteristics, such as angsty teenager Tina (Dan Mintz, The Andy Milonakis Show) and her sexual obsession with zombies. The quirky animations and slightly offbeat humor make this show worth watching. This premiere is one to anticipate.

Boardwalk Empire

HBO, Sunday Sept. 16, 9 p.m.

Those who have been following this show will be eager for the return of Nucky Thompson, the "ruler of Atlantic City" in prohibition era. After a surprising twist in last season's finale, Thompson (Steve Buscemi, On the Road) will be a force to balance his troubled home life and his business life without losing his control of the city.

Modern Family

ABC, Wednesday Sept. 26, 9 p.m.

Arguably one of the most popular shows on television, Modern Family is a well-blended mixture of quirky family antics and heartwarming anecdotes. It will be back again this fall for its fourth season and will most likely bring more of the same humor and honesty as its preceding seasons.

New Girl

Fox, Tuesday Sept. 25, 8 p.m.

Zooey Deschanel (Your Highness) returns in her second season as Jess, the dorky-yet-adorable roommate of three guys she moved in with after a devastating breakup. Though Jess is no longer technically the "new girl" of the bunch, fans will be more than happy to get their second dose of the characters' goofy antics - especially those of Schmidt, Jess' hunky and often times ridiculous roommate (Max Greenfield, The Indestructible Jimmy Brown).