The Little Things That Count: Accessories

It's always the small things that make the biggest impression and stand out the most when it comes to fashion. While setting up your outfit, keep in mind that what'll really separate you from the pack will be the little tweaks and splash of personality you throw in.

While your chambray, kicks, or denim might garner attention at first, your accessories are what will leave that lingering impression in people's minds.

Many people can't tell the difference between which threads are expensive and which aren't, and honestly the price isn't what matters. But the more expensive you go with clothes, the less detail and more plain they tend to look. Shoes have a similar effect if you're going casual.

Accessories, on the other hand, are what deliver character and let people know what type of person you are through how you set yourself up. Bracelets, chains, small leather goods, belts, shades, hats, watches, and socks are all items that can effortlessly turn a boring outfit into something fun.

With jewelry, gold is the go-to. Gold is a status symbol. It has been an item passed down through families for generations because of its quality. It's one of those metals that continue to look brand new no matter how many years go by.

Gold is the metal of choice for chains, necklaces, rings, bracelets, and fronts. Society is off those platinum diamonded chains and on those simple gold pieces now. Regular links, baby ropes, and flat-pressed chains over your T-shirt will have you looking correct. If you're wearing a basic top you can multiply the number of chains, if you're about that life.

Rings represent power, so a couple of those blessing your hands is a good look, especially for females. Stacking rings is always dope, but keeping it simple and wearing a ring on a few fingers is sexy as well.

Bracelets don't need to be limited to gold, and it doesn't hurt to mix things up. A bunch of braided bracelets and double-wrapped bracelets will build your insane arm party. Burkman Bros. has some dope ones for everybody and AntiHeroes has some unique ones with their signature gold wing attached.

If you've got enough money, maybe even drop a couple hundred on a Hermes, LV, YSL, or any other luxury brand belt. The belts are forever fresh, but just don't sag your pants with them; you'll look corny.

Small leather goods like coin pouches score you extra points, too. I always get comments on my white/azul LV coin pouch that actually holds no coins in it.

"Where'd you get that?" Yeah, I'll take all the questions and compliments.

My Michael Kors watch has always gotten me play, too, but that's mostly just because it's a gold piece bouncing the sun's rays off my wrist; it attracts a lot of attention. There are plenty of other watches you can hop on, from Casio to a Breitling. Having a watch emits a sense of maturity. Quit those G-Shocks, too. Like I said, we're grown now.

Summer's coming. Where your frames at?

Those wayfarers are timeless, no matter what anyone says. They will never be a trend dumper. I think they've actually upped the prices on them a little bit because of their popularity, and they come in different size variations now. Aviators are always acceptable, but what have really been popping are those flattops by SUPER. They're handmade shades from Italy for a good price (roughly $147). Just that upper flat style of shades has been wildly popular, and they won't be them cheap joints that have you squinting when they're on.

Throw a snapback on and you'll be gravy, and if you're feeling like a hipster, stick with a six-panel cap. It's all about brands, though. Teams are cool, but the brands are making the best hats right now. Snapbacks that say LVRS (lovers), Treated, Obey, etc. are the trend and are just cooler than a regular Mitchell & Ness because they're harder to find. Chill with the trips to Zumiez and just hop online or hit your closest boutique. It'll forever be boutiques over malls anyway.

The real panty dropper of accessories right now: socks! What's your sock game like? Basic Nike joints? You've got to chill. Hip yourself to some striped socks, polka dotted socks, or socks with patterns. That's how you get the eyes of onlookers to slowly progress from top to bottom instead of jumping from shoes to shirts. Throw them Pendleton printed socks on and they'll peep your Vans or Jordans or whatever you're wearing. You'll be forever winning - I promise you.

Get your accessories right so you won't look so boring. Switch things up and put personality in what you wear or you'll just blend in. And what standout wants to fit in? Not in my nature, shouldn't be in yours.