Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Bulls Keep on Streaking

Offense overpowers Niagara as Buffalo sweeps series

There were two outs, runners on first and second base, and the count in the pitcher's favor. When all seemed lost, a rookie player on the softball team connected on a moonshot into deep left-center field. It didn't leave the yard, but the first inside-the-park homer of the season came at an opportune time.

The Bulls (14-21, 5-5 Mid-American Conference) hosted Big Four rival Niagara (9-20, 2-2 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) for a doubleheader on Wednesday. They swept the day, winning both contests while putting on a dynamic hitting and base running display. Buffalo won the first game 11-0 in five innings and took the second game, 9-6.

In the middle of all of the offensive fireworks, freshman outfielder Karly Nevez had a big day. The young outfielder scored four runs, including the go-ahead homer to sink the Purple Eagles' chances.

"Not gonna lie, I was surprised," Nevez said. "I was thinking: 'don't hit it to the shortstop.' All I thought: 'get a hit, get on.'"

In both contests the Bulls saw the ball exceptionally well, making solid contact and driving pitches into the gaps. The Bulls finished with 20 hits and 20 runs combined.

In the first game, Buffalo sophomore pitcher Tori Speckman was dominant. Speckman allowed one hit and struck out six in five innings. She kept the Niagara batters off balance; they took flailing, weak, halfhearted swings with regularity.

"I think Tori is starting to find some of the confidence that she had last year," said head coach Jennifer Teague. "A lot of people don't know but we are dealing with a little bit of a hand injury with her so we changed some of her grip. She is finally getting to the point where she is getting comfortable with it."

Though the pitching performance was impressive, it was the offensive barrage that ended the game early. Buffalo jumped on Niagara early on and never let up, scoring five runs in the first inning. That big inning was highlighted by sophomore infielder Sammi Gallardo's two-run bomb to center field. Gallardo finished the game with four RBIs.

After the first frame the Bulls continued to tack on runs, repeatedly pounding Niagara starter Julie DiMatteo. In the bottom of the third, with a seven-run lead, junior infielder Andi Saucier hit a two-run homerun that cleared the scoreboard in centerfield.

The Bulls' offense was still relentless in the second game, driving in six runs through five innings, running starting pitcher Bri Allen from the contest in the second.

In the bottom of the sixth, Buffalo's defense had a momentary lapse, allowing Niagara to get back into the game, knotting the game at six, which led to Nevez's heroics.

Teague and her staff have been working extensively with the players' hitting approach, and some unusual practices have helped propel this team during its streak.

"We looked at a lot of video and we were getting our bat heads out in front of the plate where it needs to be to hit pitches," Teague said. "But we weren't hitting it for power, and we were really kind of weak at contact. We're hitting a lot of basketballs and we're hitting into tires, so we're kind of going old school and throwing some untraditional things at them, and it is really making them push through the ball."

For the Bulls, the sweep gives them three consecutive wins and six of their last seven. Their next opponent is conference rival Kent State, but Teague believes in the abilities of her team.

"I like our chances," Teague said. "The bottom line is whichever team comes out, plays the most consistent, and plays their hardest is going to win. Kent State is a top team and a proven team. They have been a top team in the conference but I like my team right now."

Buffalo will host Kent State (22-20, 8-4 MAC) at Nan Harvey Field on Saturday and Sunday. First pitch for the opener is at 2 p.m. and the finale is set for 1 p.m.