Candlelight Vigil Reaches Out to Those in Japan

Absence of faculty noted

On Monday, the Graduate Student Association sponsored a "Healing Through Light" candlelight vigil to mark the one-month anniversary of the 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami in Japan at UB's Newman Center.

The university is home to over 4,000 international students, including many Japanese students who felt the effects of the tragedy, which left over 13,000 dead and over 14,000 still missing in Japan.

"We are happy to do anything to help those in need through times like this, especially when so many were directly or indirectly affected," said Patrick Keleher, director of the Catholic Campus Ministry.

While many students participated in the vigil, the same cannot be said for their paid counterparts. Emails were sent to faculty and staff, and many advertisements were made through the Student Association and GSA. However, only two staff members were in attendance.

"I was extremely disappointed to see that no faculty or staff attended the event," said Grace Mukupa, organizer of the event, vice president of the Graduate Student Association, and a Ph.D. candidate in global gender studies. "This makes students feel that the university doesn't care much about them, [which] again this brings up the idea of if UB calls itself a ‘family.' I think we should act like one, especially at times like these."

Mukupa personally experienced the aftermath of the tragedy and created the event in support of Japanese and other students at the university and to honor those affected in Japan.

"I wanted to create a space and an outlet for those who are away from their families in Japan or anywhere in the world to join hands and pray together for those affected by the disaster," Mukupa said.

Mukupa was raised in Japan and attended school in Shibuya-Ku, Tokyo at the International School of the Sacred Heart. For days after the disaster, Mukupa worried about her cousin and her family who reside there, who were all unreachable at the time. Thankfully, Mukupa's cousin was eventually able to contact his family through Facebook, assuring them that he, his wife, and their 4-year-old daughter were all right.

"My wish is to keep the hope and keep the fire burning until Japan recovers," Mukupa said. "I want people to understand that natural disasters are inevitable; today it might impact someone else but tomorrow it might impact you."

The UB Soccer Club was present at the vigil to show its support.

"When a tragedy takes place halfway around the world, it is somewhat incredible how hard it hits home here in Buffalo," said Brandon Tarney, a senior engineering major and member of the soccer club. "With a school that is composed of people from virtually everywhere on the globe, the grief and sadness is shared, as well as the opportunity to aid those most in need – our friends and family in Japan."

Yoshitaka Nakamura, a junior accounting major and member of the Japanese Student Association, shared the story of when he was a boy in Japan and a similar disaster struck.

"The world is not as big as you might think; we are all connected," Nakamura said.

Nakamura emphasized how global relief efforts made a significant difference in his survival during the past tragedy. Other students shared stories of friends and family affected in Japan.

"I have a friend in Japan who was separated from her family and had much difficulty locating them," said Kyoko Umezaki, a second-year graduate student in the mechanical engineering program and a member of the JSA. "Thankfully, they were all fine and although my friend and her family were not directly affected, they saw everything."

For those who were unable to attend the ceremony, the GSA will have a donation box on the third floor of the Student Union for the next week. Blankets, financial donations, or anything that can be of help is appreciated, and 100 percent of donations will be sent to Japan.