Nothing Bitter About It

Artist: Chamberlain

Album: Bitter Blood

Label: The Musebox Distribution

Release Date: March 1

Grade: A+

After nearly 12 years of lineup changes, solo projects, and collaborations, the guys from Chamberlain have stepped back into the studio, releasing their first album in over a decade.

For those unfamiliar with the band, Chamberlain is an Americana-esque rock band formed in the mid '90s. However, after moderate success and the release of four full-length albums, the band members separated in order to pursue their own interests.

Bitter Blood heralds the much-awaited return of the Indianapolis natives, proving that they have not lost a step despite their almost decade-long sabbatical.

Echoing bands like The Gaslight Anthem, Kings of Leon, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Chamberlain establishes a great mix of traditional sound with a sort-of edginess that results in a fantastically put-together album.

It is the melodic vocal work of lead singer David Moore that really sets Bitter Blood apart from its predecessors. The vocals on each track are fraught with emotion and sentimentality, giving the album a gripping sense of passion and feeling.

Standout tracks include "Fools," a reproachful look at love, and the synth-heavy "Paper Crown"; however, each one of the nine tracks is outstanding in its own right.

Overall, Bitter Blood is nine tracks of percussion-driven, guitar-laden gold. Perfectly striding the line between reinvention and traditionalism, Bitter Blood is a smashing success and is truly one of the best rock albums released in recent years.

For fans both new and old, Bitter Blood is a necessary part of any album collection.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com