A Well-Oiled Musical Machine

Chicken wings, losing sport franchises, and music are all things Buffalo can be proud of, and local up-and-comers The Boy and His Machine are continuing the proud musical tradition of Buffalo.

The Boy and His Machine is a four-piece pop-punk outfit that first came together in Buffalo nearly six years ago. Since then, the band has released three EPs and is currently at work recording several new songs.

Though the band now consists of Ron Griffo (vocals, guitar), Jake Strawser (guitar), Christian Adams (bass), and Tom Falcone (drums), this was not always the case. In the beginning, The Boy and His Machine was merely a solo effort.

"The band initially started with just Ron and his acoustic demoing out sounds in his bedroom as a solo project, hence the name. But after a while, it came together as a full band, and here we are today, almost six years later, still going strong," Strawser said.

This isn't to say The Boy and His Machine have not experienced some rough patches. Strawser admits that being a part of the band has meant sacrificing jobs, girlfriends, and money, but it has all been worth it so that the band can keep doing what it loves.

Most recently, the band was forced to fill its drummer position. But the band made the best of the situation and has pushed forward together.

"In every relationship, things and people change, and that's what happened here. And now we've got one of our best friends and an amazing drummer, Tom Falcone, with us, and I couldn't be more excited to share this all with him. He brings a lot to the table and I can't wait for everyone to hear the new stuff," Strawser said.

Though listeners can find The Boy and His Machine filed under pop punk, the band refuses to be chained down by the genre. They aren't afraid to reach out and draw on inspiration from other styles of music.

"I think our music is a good blend of pop punk and just straight up rock and roll. We try not to think about it too much, but just write something we would listen to," Strawser said. "We really do touch on a few different genres that appeal to a large group of people instead of just pigeonholing ourselves into one thing."

This ideology of not being confined to one sound is what makes The Boy and His Machine stand out. They don't conform, but rather make their own identity within the Buffalo music scene.

Lyrically, the band isn't afraid to get personal. Griffo draws upon his real-life experiences and emotions to craft lyrics that are as catchy as they are authentic.

"Our first EP, Show Them What You're Made Of, was really about getting out of your hometown and making a name for yourself. With our latest [EP], Count on It!, it was more about the trials and tribulations you face being out on the road or just on the day-to-day," Strawser said. "That's what I love about Ron's writing style…that it is always about real feelings or experiences."

Currently, The Boy and His Machine is hard at work recording new material in Baltimore, Md. The band is receiving a helping hand from producer Paul Leavitt, known for his work on All Time Low's So Wrong It's Right, as well as Circa Survive's On Letting Go.

Those hoping to get an earful of the band's new songs are in luck. The Boy and His Machine will be playing March 8 at Xtreme Wheels with The Wonder Years and Man Overboard and encourage everyone to come out and have a good time.

"Well, besides the fact that all the bands playing are outstanding, [coming to the show] would be a great opportunity for you to come hear some of our new songs, some of the old ones, and to come hang out and say ‘what's up,'" Strawser said.

With a new drummer, new songs, and a driving determination, it seems as though there's little that can get in the way of The Boy and His Machine. For these bandmates, it's all about doing what you love.

"For us, all we have ever wanted to do is just play music, so in five years if that's happening, I'll be smiling for sure," Stawser said.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com