The Everyday Holiday

Jameson Butler

February is a drag; it's cold, it's dark, and we don't have any days off. Oh yeah, and the most absurd holiday of the year is upon us.

The one day a year that makes card companies rejoice and males cringe with fear, Valentine's Day, is also in the month of February… in fact, it's today.

I hope that this is not news to any of the current readers, and if so, good job screwing the pooch. I am one guy that absolutely despises the thought of Valentine's Day, but the date has been drilled into my head thanks to the media.

Valentine's Day is the most superficial, ironic, and fake holiday that is celebrated. Nothing behind this holiday has any real substance other than an effort to get people to spend money.

For some reason, the idea that there is only one day to show how much you care about someone has been engraved into our psyche. I would be shocked if there was someone on campus that could explain where this holiday originated.

This day was formerly a Catholic holiday, but in 1969, it was no longer recognized as a holiday by the pope. Yet, the card companies did not let it die. They had to beat this horse until it was completely dead, revive it, and beat it to death again.

Now, the day after Christmas, shelves are lined with gifts for Valentine's Day without even missing a beat. It looks like the economy refuses to let the greeting card companies take a dip in profits for even a day.

The best part of this holiday is the emphasis that is put on the fact that today is the day to show how much you care. Do you honestly need a day for this? Isn't that what you do when you're in a relationship?

Every commercial from Dec. 26 until Feb. 15 broadcasts to people that this is their chance to show how much they love their partners, when, in reality, it happens every day.

When a guy decides that he wants to be in a relationship with a girl a lot changes for him mentally. Instead of going out and raging at a frat party every weekend, guys might start to want to stay in and spoon with their lady friends instead. This is a monumental step for a guy, but it is often overlooked as something he is supposed to do.

However, this gesture doesn't tell her how much he cares because it doesn't have a price tag on it. Now, I'm not saying guys aren't to blame for this either. We are oblivious and, at times, idiotic. We miss signals and gestures on a daily basis.

People are so hung up on the fact that they need to find the perfect gift or the flawless dinner reservations that they forget the reasons they fell in love in the first place, which are all they really need to be happy with someone.

Is a piece of jewelry or a box of chocolates really the best way for someone to show that he care? If it is, I feel very sorry for you.

E-mail: jameson.butler@ubspectrum.com