Lighthearted Sex Signals Comes to UB

Let's talk about sex, baby.

Wellness Education Services is bringing the "real life funny, sort-of improv show about a guy, a girl, dating and other stuff" Sex Signals, a nationally touring Catharsis Production presentation, to the University at Buffalo this Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Student Union theatre.

Sex Signals responds to the challenge of educating about date rape, which is plagued by the myth that it is usually committed by strangers. However, date rape is typically committed by someone a person with whom the victim is familiar.

The topic is usually uncomfortable for men and women alike, as men feel implicated because of their gender and women realize their own potential victimization. Additionally, the typical means of educating on the topic enable some to "view date rape as simple seduction, and for victims of date rape to blame themselves for their own vulnerability," according to the Catharsis Production's website.

The 75-minute show takes an unconventional and humorous route to combat these feelings and stimulate a discussion by representing the awkwardness of dating, sex, and the issue of consent. The discussion works to dissolve rape myths and engage the audience in "candid discussions about their beliefs and experiences," according to the website.

"It's weird – we live in a hyper-sexualized society, and we have such a hard time talking about sex, which means we fall back on stereotypes, myths, and mass-produced fantasies from TV and movies for too much of our information," said Anna Sotelo-Peryea, a resource and planning coordinator and violence prevention specialist in Wellness Education Services. "We've got to be able to talk about sex and the awkwardness and misunderstandings of dating if we are ever going to be able to have meaningful conversations about sexual health and relationships. An event like this sets a good foundation for deeper conversations and education."

Wellness Education wanted to bring Sex Signals to UB to spark a dialogue about sex and dating in college and to, hopefully, equip students for safer, healthier sexual relationships.

"If we want to have meaningful conversations about safer sex and healthy relationships, or even just have good sex for that matter, we need to start with a reality check, and it helps to have a show like this where the reality check is hilarious and lets us laugh at ourselves," Sotelo-Peryea said. "Consider it a late Valentine's Day gift to you and your future partner(s)."

Admission to the show is free, and Wellness Education Services will be sponsoring love and sex-themed events all week long, such as Love and Support Day in the Student Union lobby on Monday and at Late Night on Friday.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com