Monday, April 29, 2024

February is American Heart Month

Most people have always associated hearts in February with boxes of chocolates and "Be Mine" phrases, but February is also the month to take a closer look at a different kind of heart – your own.

Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in our nation. The American Heart Association has urged Congress since 1963 to proclaim the month of February "American Heart Month."

"I think some people are still unaware of the high rise of cardiovascular disease," said Melissa Chabot, undergraduate nutrition coordinator for the Department of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences. "Spreading awareness is always helpful."

Last Monday, President Barack Obama sent out an official press release proclaiming that the month of February be dedicated to making Americans aware of risk factors, which include high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity, physical inactivity, and tobacco use, and how the United States can try to develop a healthier lifestyle.

"I think many people are also unaware that the early stages of heart disease can begin at an early age," Chabot said. "The good news is there are many things that can help protect oneself from developing cardiovascular disease."

Being physically active, maintaining a healthy body weight, and consuming a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables and whole-grain, high-fiber foods are important in helping to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, according to Chabot.

February is also a month to honor and acknowledge those who spend their lives researching and raising money to help fund the prevention of heart disease. In addition, the American Heart Association is sponsoring the "Go Red For Women" campaign. The campaign, which occurs nationwide throughout February, brings awareness to women of their risks for heart disease, and encourages them to find ways in reducing these risks.

"One-third [of women in the United States] will die this year of cardiovascular diseases," said Ronald Tritto, corporate events director of Buffalo's American Heart Association. "[That is] one person every 60 seconds. About half of the women in America might know this, but that also means that [the other] half don't."

Last Friday was declared the national Wear Red for Women Day, in an effort to support women's heart disease awareness and remind women about their risks for heart disease. It was a day to show support for the cause by wearing an article of red clothing and educating other women about their risks.

"If each woman reaches out to five women they know and spread the news [that way], this could eventually impact thousands of women," Tritto said.

For more information on the Go Red for Women campaign and how to live a healthier life, go to www.goredforwomen.org and click on the Live Simple Seven tab.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com