Chronicles of Narnia Exhibit Excites Fans in Buffalo

Whether they're loyal to the books, a fan of the flicks, or are just having a "Lazy Sunday," Narnia lovers will be captivated by The Chronicles of Narnia: The Exhibition at the Buffalo Museum of Science, a series of displays that will immerse them into a land they have all grown to know so well.

Since the exhibition's debut in Buffalo last Monday, devoted fans of Narnia have found themselves on a pilgrimage to the Museum of Science to explore the world of their imaginations. The Chronicles of Narnia is a collection of seven explosively imaginary children's novels written by C.S. Lewis in the 1950s that were introduced into the blockbuster movie scene in 2005 with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, shortly followed by Prince Caspian in 2008, and most recently, Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Though the exhibit's focus is primarily on the first two films, those who attend this Narnia haven will not leave disappointed. Displays provide attendees with visual access to fantastical costumes and props. Each object is accompanied by explanations, along with screens that provide a glimpse into some behind-the-scenes footage.

As guests enter the exhibition, they immediately find themselves within the working space of C.S. Lewis, the setting in which the genius of The Chronicles all began. This unique display briefly explains the history of the series' publication and includes some of Lewis' belongings such as his personal pipe, glass mug, and the chair and desk at which he would write.

Upon leaving the display, visitors are confronted with the magnificent doors of the wardrobe closet, the magical doors that open into the enchanting world of Narnia. Attendees are able to waltz through the closet doors and into the rest of the exhibit, provoking a sensation of an actual transition of space and an entrance into a new world.

With a clever combination of content from the films and the teachings of science, the exhibit is not only fascinating for its display of actual props, but it is playfully educational as well. The exhibit raises awareness and educates guests on affairs such as engineering, archaeology, geography, and the environment.

"The purpose is to introduce the science behind the films and stories," said Amy Biber, marketing manager of the Buffalo Museum of Science. "It is a fantasy world, but the exhibit compares the similarities between Narnia and our world."

A creative replica of the White Witch's throne allows visitors to sit on the chilled seat and experience the sensation of living in Narnia during 100 years of winter. An adjacent display explains our relationship to Earth's climate and environment, educating visitors on how humans can impact the world.

Meanwhile, a display of the petrified bear from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is complimented with an array of actual petrified objects that you are able to touch. An explanation of the process of petrifying adds an intriguing educating element.

Whether you're young or old, there is no age limit to the enriching experience gained from attending this exhibit. From catapulting lifelike boulders to learning the physics of building an arch, there are many interactive and educational activities that are fascinating for all.

Meghan Farrell, a junior childhood inclusive education major at Fredonia, drove for over an hour after her classes last Friday just to see the exhibit with her friends.

"The exhibit brings to life a magical experience, making you feel as if you are part of the story," Farrell said. "It also gave me a chance to relate the fictional ideas of the books to real-life experiences."

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Exhibition will remain at the Buffalo Museum of Science until May 8 and costs $10 for students.

E-mail: arts@ubspectrum.com